If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, in Ottawa, Ontario. The university is just minutes from the heart of our nation’s government and G-7 organizations and this capital advantage provides opportunities for staff and faculty and students to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
As one of the 2023 Top 100 Employers in Canada and one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for nine consecutive years, Carleton University is one of Canada’s most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university’s smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. At Carleton, we are committed to fostering an innovative, equitable and welcoming work environment. Carleton is also a nationally certified Healthy Workplace and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work.
The university’s Strategic Integrated Plan 2020-2025 is an ambitious vision for the future, anchored in Carleton’s strengths and student-centric, community-engaged values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Manager, Electrical Services, this job is responsible for the installation, repair and maintenance of the electrically powered distribution system on Campus. Following accepted procedures and techniques of the electrical trade.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of electrical principles and their application to the maintenance, repair and installation of electrical distribution systems, electrical devices and electrical generation systems
• Knowledge of the application and use of electrical testing equipment such as VoltAmmeters, Voltage testers, Circuit tracers, Meggers, Multi-meters and Power Quality Logging Devices
• Knowledge of the fabrication and the installation of materials and equipment required for an electrical distribution system
• The ability to apply electrical formulas
• Knowledge of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, the NFPA 70E Standard, and the building code
• Ability to read and interpret drawings and manuals related to job function
• Ability to effectively work individually, and or as part of a team of diverse groups
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers
• Ability to follow through and carry out assignments
• A creative approach to problem solving
• Knowledge of hazards involved with work and safety measures to be taken
• Aptitude for science and mathematics will be preferred
• Knowledge of FMP Policies and Procedures
• Skills in interpreting wiring diagrams, electrical schematics, Single Line Drawings, manufacturer’s instruction and other electrical literature
• Ability to read and write English
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Valid Electrical – Construction & Maintenance Trade license for the Province of Ontario or equivalent.
• Possession of a Fire Alarm License will be an asset. Please note that the possession of a Fire Alarm License will be a requirement within six months from the date of hire
• Minimum of 5 years of experience including the apprenticeshiptraining program, which consists of on-the-job/ work experience of 8,160 hours and 840 hours of in-school training
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is regularly required to work on campus. Due to the ongoing dynamic nature of Covid-19, you may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements. If this happens, you will work with your direct manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. You are required to follow all directives to set up a safe and confidential workspace in a remote location and ensure all Carleton property (intellectual and other) is safeguarded. If required to work remotely, you will be notified by your manager when working full time physically onsite will resume.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.