University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Salaried – Research Assistant /Technician 3
Therapeutics Initiative jobsincanada.one Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics jobsincanada.one Faculty of Medicine
$3,982.67 – $4,703.83 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
May 1, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
May 14, 2024
At UBC, we believe that attracting and sustaining a diverse workforce is key to the successful pursuit of excellence in research, innovation, and learning for all faculty, staff and students. Our commitment to employment equity helps achieve inclusion and fairness, brings rich diversity to UBC as a workplace, and creates the necessary conditions for a rewarding career.
To work as part of a research team studying prescription drug utilization, appropriateness of use, and population health outcomes as well as provincial drug policy. Major responsibilities include: writing computer programs for administrative data analysis and conducting trend and statistical analysis.
Reports directly to Drs. Anat Fisher and Greg Carney, co-Chairs of the Pharmacoepidemiology Group of the Therapeutics Initiative. Liaisons with:
– Staff of the Therapeutics Initiative
– Data Access Services, B.C. Ministry of Health
– UBC employees
Participating in the statistical analysis of prescription drug studies using very large administrative databases and chart data and assisting with cohort studies of the Canadian Network for Observational Drug Effects Studies (CNODES), as needed. Duties include:
1. Research Analysis. Uses statistical analysis packages (Frequent use: SAS and SQL, occasional use: STATA and R) to analyze very large healthcare administrative databases. Writes and executes SAS code to support CNODES projects and BC Ministry of Health deliverables. Includes quality assurance testing and documenting coding methods.
2. Physician prescribing portrait feedback development, production, and evaluation. Uses SAS, SQL, R to produce portraits of trends in physician prescribing by patient subgroups.
3. Knowledge Exchange. To engage decision-makers in formulating queries of the data and interpreting results, the Data Analyst interacts one-to-one with users throughout the analysis, and documents queries and responses.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Errors or missteps in communication could produce friction among collaborators due to strong differences of opinion to how drug safety and effectiveness studies should be designed and implemented.
Accuracy and timeliness of tasks are critical in keeping research projects on time and on budget. Errors can lead to significant project delays.
Works under the supervision of Drs. Greg Carney and Anat Fisher, who conducts some analyses for both the BC Ministry of Health and CNODES cohort studies, provides guidance on the databases and advice on analyses conducted by the Data Analyst.
Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
College degree or certificate in a relevant discipline: data analytics, statistics, or related field. Minimum of one year experience in data analysis or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with data management and programming. Ability to communicate orally and in writing. Ability to deal with multiple tasks and priorities. Ability to act with discretion and maintain confidentiality. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with professions and other team members.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.