Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our open-pit mine and concentrator in Voisey’s Bay – Vale’s only fly-in/fly-out operation in Canada – produces nickel-cobalt-copper concentrate and copper concentrate. An underground expansion will see a transition to a leading-edge underground mine extending the life of the mine until 2034. Our state-of the-art facility in Long Harbour is the first nickel processing plant in the world to use hydrometallurgy technology to produce Plating Rounds from hard rock (sulphide) concentrate, with low carbon footprint compared to traditional smelter technology. Our offices in St. John’s and Goose Bay provide support to the Newfoundland and Labrador Operations.
This is a permanent position based at the Voisey’s Bay mine site in Labrador, a fly-in fly out operation, with a two week on, two week off rotation.
Reporting to the Underground Mine Operations Supervisor, the Underground Mine Operator 4 is responsible to perform the support functions in the underground mining operation.
The Underground Mine Operator 4 is a classification within the progression plan, in which employees will have the opportunity to develop skills and experience for advancement.
Additionally, in this position, you will:
- Operate various pieces of underground mining equipment such as Scissor Lift, Forklift (bucket), Backhoe, Boom Truck, and Utility Vehicle.
- Receive induction to Mine Rescue & Emergency Response (underground).
- Gain exposure to Maintenance Workshop.
- Convey messages with hand, cap light and audible signals.
- Utilize and respond to communication devices.
- Complete various reports and read and interpret mine level plans.
- Perform general inspection of ventilation, hand and power tools, and fire extinguishers.
- Install signs and/or lights in areas as required.
- Perform general services including but not limited to lock out/tag out, handling of materials, and operation of hand tools and power tools.
- Scale loose rock and recognize loose or abnormal ground conditions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 10 secondary school or equivalent is required.
College of the North Atlantic (CNA) has partnered with Vale Newfoundland and Labrador to create an alternate pathway for those interested in pursuing a career in the mining industry.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum education requirements outlined above may complete a Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES). Please visit https://www.cna.nl.ca for more information on the assessment preparation and offerings.
To be considered for employment, applicants must successfully complete the TOWES assessment prior to submitting their application. The Individual Score Report must be submitted with the application to be considered.
- A minimum of 12 months experience working in an underground mining operation OR 5+ years of industrial construction experience (i.e., civil, structural, piping), preferably in the mining industry.
- Demonstrate a concern for Safety, Health, and Environment.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to recognize hazards within an industrial workplace and understands his or her role in assessing and managing risk.
- Strong ability to work cooperatively within a team environment.
- Demonstrate initiative and follow instruction.
What we offer you:
- Competitive Salary and Site Premiums.
- Opportunity to earn an annual Employee Bonus and Underground Mines Incentive.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances).
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental).
- Chartered flights within the province.
- 24/7 access to a fully stocked cafeteria with balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
- Access to recreational facilities and social activities (cardio/weight room, gymnasium, music room, movie theatre, etc.).
- Accommodations are equipped with cable TV, unlimited long-distance calling, and high-speed internet capacity.
- All Personal Protective Equipment is provided upon hire. Employees are given a safety boot allowance and receive a 100% reimbursement for prescription safety glasses.
- Exposure to advanced mining technology and state of the art mechanized underground equipment.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
Interested applicants must submit their application online at https://vale.eightfold.ai/careers . Innu Nation members and Nunatsiavut beneficiaries can also submit their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
Apply by: Wednesday, November 30 th , 2022
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.