University of Alberta
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location – Work primarily takes place at North Campus Edmonton. This role is hybrid with a mix of remote and in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department/Faculty
The Department of Family Medicine is one of the top schools of family medicine in Canada responsible for educational innovations and research that have been adopted across Canada and internationally. We work hard, but always within an environment of professionalism and respect. Fun is encouraged. As an educational institution, we strongly promote skills and knowledge improvement for our staff, as well as the continuous improvement of our work. Innovation is expected.
The department utilizes family medicine electives as an important means of attracting MD students to our family medicine residency program. Working closely with the family medicine clerkship director and reporting to the Team Lead – Residency Program, this position administers home and visiting electives as well as the family medicine clerkship program. This position also provides general administrative support to the undergraduate program, including taking minutes for undergraduate program and clerkship meetings.
Program Administration (90%)
FMED546 Family Medicine Clerkship
- Maintain master preceptor recruitment list for clerkship, including collection of practice profiles electronically;
- Develop and maintain the clerkship planning spreadsheet, including class list, academic progress, rotation information and session schedule;
- Support recruitment of physicians for clerkship, including creating and emailing the placement letters, updating practice profiles and ensuring full coverage;
- Prepare for distribution of all rotation-related correspondence to students and preceptors;
- Create and email the placement letters to the entire incoming clerks;
- Assist clerkship director and program coordinator with updating the clerkship manual and orientation materials;
- Email the clerkship manual to clerkship preceptors;
- Assist the program coordinator with setting up FMED546 course and evaluation schedule in MedSIS and update the course and rotation information throughout the year;
- Support recruitment of clerkship academic half-day facilitator recruitment including palliative care, MSK, clinical decision making and clerkship project presentations facilitators;
- Participate in all clerkship academic half-day sessions as a program assistant;
- Notify clerkship preceptors of approved/denied student absences;
- Schedule clerkship rotations for clerks at urban teaching sites, working closely with the Office of Rural and Regional Health;
- Define groups for the MSK and CDM sessions and email facilitators and UME IT staff the lists;
- Email a session reminder to clerks and facilitators on a weekly basis;
- Create calendar invites for all academic half-day sessions and send to students and facilitators. Create and maintain Google Drive for clerkship/ICC students and facilitators by updating the course manual, session materials and project presentation handouts, and enrolling clerks every 8 weeks;
- Maintain confidential student files;
- Invigilate 2-hour clerkship exams every two months;
- Liaise with UME assessment administrator to coordinate clerkship exams; Schedule clerkship exams via Smart Exam Monitor in eClass and Exam.Med and enter the exam and student information;
- Support all program orientation and educational session activities with room bookings, preparation of materials and creating attendance logs;
- Monitor preceptor evaluations in Assess.Med and follow up with students to ensure a timely submission of electronic forms;
- Report to clerkship director and program coordinator about student at risk issues;
- Post marks in MedSIS;
- Create letters for students who failed the exam;
- Schedule and invigilate exam rewrites;
- Arrange student consultation meetings;
- Support St. Andrews program by recruiting preceptors, scheduling students/education sessions, preparing handouts and manuals and collecting log sheets and evaluations;
- Create surveys for the preceptor recruitments, student urban placement, palliative care and project presentation facilitator recruitments, St. Andrews student and preceptor evaluations and generate the results;
- Liaise with the financial assistant to ensure the eligible clerkship preceptor gets paid;
- Attend clerkship administrators’ meetings, FM clerkship team meetings and weekly clerkship check-in meetings;
- Maintain an up to date clerkship admin manual.
MED547 and MED557 Electives
- Organize urban electives for local and visiting students managed by the undergraduate FM office;
- Maintain master preceptor recruitment list for electives, including collection of practice profiles electronically;
- Support recruitment of physicians for electives, including correspondence, updating practice profiles and ensuring full coverage;
- Maintain Excel spreadsheets for tracking local and visiting electives and preceptor payments;
- Monitor the quota of elective seats to ensure to stay within given budget directed by the program coordinator;
- Liaise with the financial assistant to ensure the eligible elective preceptor gets paid;
- Approve/deny elective applications by assessing the applicant’s criteria;
- Communicate with elective preceptors to identify their availability and place elective students;
- Schedule electives for both University of Alberta and visiting students at urban teaching sites;
- Create and distribute the placement letters to elective preceptors and students;
- Liaise with UME elective coordinator and UME IT specialist for troubleshooting application issues in MedSIS;
- Liaise with UME visiting elective coordinator and UME IT specialist for troubleshooting visiting application issues in AFMC portal;
- Monitor preceptor evaluations for students in Assess.Med and follow up with students and preceptors for timely submission of electronic forms;
- Maintain up to date elective admin manual and elective catalogues;
- Generate the elective activity report from MedSIS upon program coordinator’s request;
- Attend the elective administrators meeting.
General Undergraduate Program Support (10%)
- Monitor the program generic email inbox (fmunder) and respond to program inquiries and triage;
- Provide administrative support for the clerkship team and undergrad family medicine meetings, including room booking, invitations to committee and preparation of detailed electronic documentation (agenda, minutes and any supporting documents);
- Support preceptor orientation by inviting the preceptors, catering, room bookings and all follow-up communication;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Diploma (administrative diploma program) with an equivalent combination of education and experience being considered.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of office experience, preferably in the post-secondary industry.
- Strong ability to manage high volumes of data and experience working within databases.
- Computer proficiency in office applications and electronic learning platforms.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.