The Corporation of The City of Victoria
Closing date: November 28, 2022
People and Culture Department
- Analyzing and identifying the health and safety training and development needs for the organization
- Developing and delivering competency-based health and safety training programs to meet those needs
Under the direction of the Manager, Health and Safety, and as a member of the People and Culture team, the Training and Development Specialist develops and delivers competency-based training programs in support of the City’s health and safety goals and operational plans.
- Identifies training needs by conducting needs assessments that include the analysis of key position or program requirements, employee abilities, industry trends and projected future requirements.
- Works collaboratively with subject matter experts to identify and assess trends in safety incidents that point to training gaps.
- Works collaboratively with operational leaders and within the People and Culture team to develop a sustainable training approach that addresses high priority training needs, meets required standards and delivers an annual training calendar that coordinates safety training across the organization.
- Supports the creation of effective training material that can be used in formal classroom or online training, on the job training or by employees as job aids.
- Delivers training by evaluating and sourcing external training, by guiding subject matter experts in the development of relevant training material or by directly facilitating training solutions. Applies competency-based analysis to the development or sourcing of training programs and materials.
- Ensures training provided is delivered to established standards through appropriate design, and competency-based assessment methods. Monitors and reviews courses delivered by internal and external training facilitators, ensuring that outcome-based learning is achieved.
- Develops metrics to assess the effectiveness of the learning approach and prepares reports as requested, identifying and recommending where improvements can be made.
- Under the direction of the Learning and Organizational Development Consultant participates in the development and delivery of corporate learning and development projects, processes, or systems.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to an undergraduate diploma or degree in a relevant discipline such Adult Education, Curriculum Development or Learning Management, combined with at least three years of related experience. Experience in a technical or compliance-based training role in an industrial setting is considered an asset.
Completion of a learning and development certification such as Certified Training Practitioner (CTP) or Certified Training and Development Professional (CTDP) or Provincial Instructor Designation (BCPID) is considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Practiced in the development and delivery of adult learning and the creation of effective competency-based learning curriculum that results in improved individual and operational performance.
Skilled and proficient in conducting training needs assessments, learning facilitation, and competency-based learning program evaluation; eLearning course development and delivery would be beneficial.
Able to determine when training is the appropriate solution to a legislated or operational requirement or identified compliance gap; and able to determine which training will result in the required, sustained competency improvement.
Intermediate or greater working knowledge of Learning Management Systems and Microsoft Office suite of products, and web-based programs is required.
Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) including the ability to:
- establish and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with clients, colleagues, and external contacts
- write competency-based learning outcomes and formative or summative learning assessments enabling clarity and transparency for learners
- effectively facilitate training, including legislated training in a way that inspires reluctant audiences to participate and engage in learning
- navigate contentious matters and handle sensitive or confidential issues with skill, tact, and diplomacy
- work independently and as part of team
Fundamental project management skills and ability to organize a demanding workload, prioritize and manage multiple projects demands while under pressure. Able to respond effectively to changing priorities.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Applicants who are not current City of Victoria employees will be asked to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 during the recruitment process. External applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated based on a protected legal ground as defined in the BC Human Rights Code may request an accommodation.
At the City of Victoria, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.