Canada Post - Postes Canada
Job Requisition Id: 162868
Business Function: Engineering
Primary City: Toronto
Province: Ont. – GTA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Status: Permanent
Language Requirement: English Essential
Employee Class and Level: UPCET02
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Closing Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 01/12/2023
The System Administrator is responsible for supporting and ensuring the high availability of national mail processing equipment infrastructure. This entails the tight management and configuration of numerous servers, workstations, security appliances and network equipment.
Responsibilities also include supporting and advising various internal teams with: system, network and security requirements, sorting equipment design reviews, and implementation/integration and testing activities.
These responsibilities are underpinned by the continuous development and commitment to our precise standards, practices, requirements and procedures.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the System Administrator:
1. Investigates and analyzes the feasibility of system requirements for national mail processing systems.
2. Prepares technical documentation including control systems and process designs to develop system, network and security specifications within the Mail Processing Equipment (MPE) network and security architecture and framework.
3. Provides system expertise and guidance to internal customers. Applies conceptual thinking to complex problems and implements practical solutions to help achieve departmental objectives.
4. Implements and maintains plant server infrastructure; this includes: hardware configurations, operating systems, network infrastructure such as security appliance hardware, network switches, routers and virtualization infrastructure.
5. Performs proactive system monitoring, integrity checks and ensures continuous availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes.
6. Assists with MPE infrastructure administration tasks, with system troubleshooting, configuration, standards compliance in a mixed Windows / Linux environment; Backup/Restore solutions and equipment Disaster Recovery Plans.
7. Maintains and contributes to various control documents such as MPE network security practice, computer room standards, and other standards, procedures and guidelines.
8. Monitors and removes viruses, spyware and other non-authorized software or access attempts; as well, assists with intrusion prevention system and anti-virus client and server configuration and maintenance; identifies, evaluates and applies patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
9. Reviews project team or contractor change proposals. Participates in software acceptance testing and factory acceptance testing for Mail Processing Equipment and Systems.
10. Works with other functional teams (i.e. HO Engineering Design Authorities, Engineering Field Services, Process Engineering, Operations) to resolve system and operational issues and to implement system improvements.
11. Performs technical reviews and evaluations of vendor solutions to ensure feasibility and fit with Canada Post standards and practices.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
- A University or college degree/diploma in a related field.
- Designation and or certifications programs may be required for certain positions.
- 2-5 years of related work experience is required.
- Experience in an enterprise setting
Other Candidate Requirements
- Good understanding of Information Technology vs Operational Technology managing a variety of network attached appliances
- Good experience working with Linux and Windows servers, use of best practices for system-level security, configuration management, and performance monitoring
- Applied expertise in automation tools for improved productivity and greater efficiencies
- Network solutions administration certification (ACSA, CCNA, or equivalent) – Preferred
- Network or Cloud Security solutions certification (CISSP, CCSP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Infrastructure virtualization certification (NCP, VCP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Cloud fundamentals certification – Preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and analytical skills
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Abilities in deploying, administrating and supporting complex network environments
- Abilities in deploying and maintaining security appliances for high-availability and isolated network infrastructure
- Self–starter with ability to work as part of a team
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post will represent Canada’s diversity and provide a safe and welcoming workplace that embraces and celebrates our differences.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
Canada Post is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you have any restrictions that need to be accommodated. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Decision Making – A champion of the organization who takes calculated risks and makes prudent, common sense decisions about current issues, future opportunities and resource requirements in a timely, well thought out manner, that aligns with the corporation’s best interests.
Accountability – An individual who strives for performance excellence and who holds him/herself and direct reports accountable for decisions and actions and for learning from mistakes when intended results are not achieved.
Business Orientation – A proactive individual who understands the competitive nature of the business, and is committed to sustaining the business through excellent customer service and new business opportunities.
Execution – A focused and self-motivated individual who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers on time and within budget, by dealing effectively with challenges and ambiguous situations.
Leading People – A compelling communicator and leader who engages, motivates and inspires others to achieve results and who encourages personal growth and finding better ways of doing things.
We value diversity as an essential part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future. We believe that attracting, developing, and retaining people who reflect the diversity of Canada is essential to our success because this matters to all communities and customers we serve.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.