Chemical Engineering McMaster University
Strategic Research Coordinator / Postdoctoral Fellow — Electrochemical CO2 Conversion
Details of the Project: The Higgins group (https://www.higginslab.com/) at McMaster University in Canada has an immediate opening for a qualified Strategic Research Coordinator / Postdoctoral Fellow. This individual will be responsible for conducting laboratory-based research on electrochemical CO 2 2 conversion technologies, and to coordinate, oversee and manage a large interdisciplinary project involving multiple research institutions, industry and community partners. The mission is the development and advanced characterization of materials and technologies for electrochemical conversion of CO into value-added products.
Description of Duties: Successful candidates will work closely with professors, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students, alongside partners from industry, government labs, academic collaborators and community partners to establish new scientific concepts and demonstrate engineering advances. They will be expected to publish first-authored papers in high-impact journals, present at international conferences, cultivate their mentoring skills by supervision of graduate students and establishing novel directions of research, and foster their leadership and project management skills by coordinating the research activities ongoing at multiple institutions.
Salary: $56,000 to $83,000/year, along with generous benefits and pension contributions. Salary range is commensurate on experience and capabilities.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Term: 12-months with anticipation of renewal.
Position Requirements and Expectations:
• The applicant has completed or close to completion of their PhD degree in a related area of science or engineering.
• Project management experience and capabilities, including communication with stakeholders, project progress monitoring and tracking, organization and a willingness to collaborate.
• Interest and strong motivation to address sustainability challenges facing the world.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to think critically and creatively.
• The ability to work well as part of a team and get along with colleagues.
• Capable of independent problem solving and industriousness to solve new research challenges.
• Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to frequently and efficiently produce high quality written work — Technical writing as well as high level/big picture writing, such as journal papers, conference papers and grant proposals.
• Skillful working with the hands, tools or advanced instrumentation (i.e., an aptitude for hands-on work).
• The ability to work safely and responsibly in a laboratory environment.
• The ability to lead projects and propose novel avenues of research exploration.
• Mentoring of graduate students.
Experience in the Following Areas is Desirable:
• Experimental electrochemistry and electrochemical technologies, such as electrolyzers, batteries, supercapacitors or fuel cells.
• Techniques for the characterization of nanomaterials (SEM, TEM, XRD, XAS, STXM, etc.).
• Experience with experimental research and development.
- Contributing to the preparation of peer-reviewed publications in top journals.
• Design, assembly and use of equipment or experimental apparatuses.
• Project management and coordination
Interested applicants should send a: (1) One-page cover letter; (2) Curriculum vitae; and (3) The names and contact information of up to three prospective referees combined into a single PDF file to: [email protected] the email subject line: “SRC/PDF –CO2 Conversion”. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted and there is no need to follow up.
A Diverse, Collaborative and Inclusive Environment:
The Higgins group and McMaster University are committed to building an equitable, diverse, and inclusive community. While all qualified applicants are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from individuals that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in engineering and other equity deserving groups. We will strive to hire individuals who share our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
About McMaster University:
McMaster University is a research-intensive Canadian University ranking in the top 1% of World Universities (consistently ranked in the top 80 universities in the world by Times Higher Education). The department of Chemical Engineering at McMaster has a long history of impactful research and is among the most active chemical engineering departments in Canada. McMaster is located in Hamilton, ON, on the western edge of Lake Ontario. The region offers affordable living, an abundance of natural beauty including vast hiking and running trails around the Niagara escarpment, kayaking and canoeing in protected watersheds, as well as easy express train access to lively downtown Toronto. Hamilton is a diverse city undergoing an energizing local renaissance by the many entrepreneurs, musicians, academics, and artists that live or have located here recently.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.