Department: Destination Promotion
The Specialist, Brand and Content is a key part of the Travel Alberta Brand and Content team, contributing to Travel Alberta’s global strategy through robust brand governance and high-quality and nimble content creation. This includes all aspects of brand and content, including planning, governing, educating, concepting, briefing, creating, editing, curating, researching, auditing, analyzing gaps and managing brand and content lifecycles.
Reporting to the Manager, Brand and Content, the Specialist is responsible for the planning and creation of content that aligns with Travel Alberta’s brand and strategy, whether this work is done by the internal studio or by Travel Alberta’s agencies, partners, contractors and freelance content creators.
Responding to requests related to brand and content from Travel Alberta team members or industry partners, or other external requests, the specialist ensures that projects especially writing and including photography, design, video and more, created for owned, paid and partner channels – are completed efficiently and in a timely way while also being aligned to strategy and brand. The Specialist is accountable for content budgets, contracts and invoicing for all projects as assigned, and works with the rest of the Brand and Content team in a collaborative, creative and fast-paced environment.
The Specialist is also a key part of the organization’s overall engagement with the brand, ensuring that all team members, partners and industry partners understand, embrace and advocate on behalf of the Travel Alberta brand.
What you need
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media arts, interactive arts, information design, marketing, or business communication or an acceptable combination of education, experience and training.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience creating, developing, and executing digital and multimedia content, including written, photographic, audio or video.
- Expertise in writing and editing as well as one or more of following areas, and a basic understanding of all of them: brand and communication; shooting and editing photos; shooting and editing video; and designing, packaging, and publishing visual and written content.
- In depth knowledge of best SEO practices and tools.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information to ensure that marketing messages are understood and have the desired impact.
- Ability to create content that aligns with the Travel Alberta brand.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others as part of a team.
- Strong understanding of brand reputation and issues management when developing content.
- Knowledge of existing and emerging content platforms, including Google’s digital advertising platforms, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest and TikTok.
- Manage a team to ensure the content is delivered successfully and adhering to the brief.
- Ability to pull things together in the post-production process to make sure deadlines are met and on budget.
- Coordination of efforts and communication with our marketing agency to ensure success of projects.
- Understanding post-production. Know the process in detail, stay up to date with the effects that can be achieved through constantly changing technology.
Who you are
- You have a demonstrated ability to make quick, concise decisions;
- You are innovative, you are always open to new ideas and discussions;
- You listen to everyone actively, you also motivate others to think out of the box;
- You are comfortable dealing with uncertainty of outcomes and revel in scenario planning;
- You are capable of operating in dual modes in the same day between strategic thinking to executing programs and tactics;
- You are honest, you understand that the information you seek and share will guide decisions;
- You are willing to confront difficult conversations with empathy and are open to receiving feedback;
- You naturally document and diarize important events, conversations and have a solid process to how you store and recall important information;
- You openly impart knowledge and know your work contributes to outcomes of others;
- You put Travel Alberta’s interests first.
What you’ll do
- Work within the Brand and Content Studio in the creation of all content, in areas such as ad production, writing, photography and design.
- Responsible for day-to-day multichannel content and calendar development, from ideation to creation to distribution, bringing together all elements that make a story – headlines, subheads, photography, copy, video and social posts.
- Facilitate fact-checking; research, edit, proofread and implement appropriate edits for ongoing projects, suggest improvements to written content with brand voice top of mind.
- Ensure all multimedia content is on-brand, consistent in style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for all online and offline channels.
- Oversee content creation by outside agencies, contractors, freelancers and partners to ensure alignment with Travel Alberta brand and strategy.
- Main point of communication between writers, production teams and stakeholders on developing stories.
- Manage, requests and editorial calendars.
- Work collaboratively to ensure Travel Alberta’s brand is a primary consideration in all activities undertaken by the organization.
Industry and partner relations
- Maintain and expand positive and constructive relationships with partner and industry contacts to facilitate effective content creation, representation of the Travel Alberta brand, and the fulfilment of Travel Alberta’s strategic goals.
- Maintain familiarity with Alberta’s key tourism experiences and travel destinations. Remain up to date on product changes and new offerings.
- Ensure regular collaboration with Alberta destination marketing organizations and key tourism industry partners, ensuring solid teamwork, sharing best practices and open lines of communication.
- Collaborate with team members from throughout the organization.
- Contribute to the short- and long-term planning of content for all platforms and channels.
- Use social media to improve organic reach.
- Work with Travel Alberta team members, partners and industry in honing ideas into effective strategies and plans that align with Travel Alberta’s brand and strategy.
- Logistical and on-the-ground planning to ensure success of content creation projects.
Budgeting and reporting
- Manage and maintain parts of content budgets, including responsibility for cost-effective use of resources.
- Determine and track important KPIs.
- Monitor expenses and forecast costs for content projects from start to finish.
- Submit expenses in a timely manner.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Employment status: Full-time permanent
Domestic travel may be required. Overtime, evening, and weekend work might be required.
Salary: $74,487 – $96,847
Closing date: March 29th 2023
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, please submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations.
If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta team member who referred you to this role.
If you need an accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Our team and benefits
The Travel Alberta team is made up of 80 passionate individuals who work collaboratively as we lead the way in the Canadian tourism industry as a destination management organization. We aim to create a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that is representative of the population we serve, where everyone is valued and respected, and where each team member can contribute as their full self to Travel Alberta’s objectives. We want our business to represent the ways in which we value all voices and perspectives, from who we partner with, to the diversity of those we reflect in our marketing and the people we hire to be on our team.
As team member at Travel Alberta, you will receive an excellent benefits package through Sun Life including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability, a generous flexible spending account and access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). This position also offers competitive paid time off, participation in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) parking onsite, team member awards and recognition and a flexible hybrid work environment – our head office in Calgary is in the Inglewood area, close to many local restaurants, businesses, fitness facilities, parks, and walking trails. This individual will also and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program which has a focus and commitment to reconciliation, equity, diversity, and inclusion (REDI) and sustainability, while fostering individual career development to help our team members achieve their goals.
About Travel Alberta
Tourism is a major driver of Alberta’s economy. And it’s not just front-line tourism businesses that play a role. A diverse range of industries and jobs across the province benefit from travellers who come to Alberta.
Travel Albertais the destination management organization of the Government of Alberta. We promote Alberta as a desirable place to travel, live, work, play, invest and learn. Working with businesses throughout the province, we capitalize on Alberta’s breathtaking landscapes and world-class hospitality to develop memorable experiences for visitors to enjoy, in all regions, year-round. Our work directly and indirectly benefits our province, driving visitation and revenue, diversifying the economy, providing jobs, encouraging economic investment, and enhancing quality of life for Albertans and their communities.
Established as a Crown corporation on April 1, 2009, we operate under the authority of the Travel Alberta Act within the Ministry of Forestry, Parks and Tourism.
To learn more about Travel Alberta’s strategy and programs visit industry.travelalberta.com.
If you’re passionate about helping this province prosper and want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, energetic team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $74,487.00-$96,847.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
We have a mandatory vaccination policy in place for all employees.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- What is your salary expectation for this position?
- How many years of experience do you have in a similar role?
- Why do you want to work at Travel Alberta?
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Calgary, AB
Application deadline: 2023-03-29
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.