TITLE: Sociology Instructor (Sessional)
The ideal candidate will be capable of teaching one or more of the following SOCI course(s):
- SOCI 100 – Introduction to Sociology: An introduction to the discipline of sociology, beginning with an overview of sociological theory and methods. The main part of the course focuses on key substantive areas of the discipline and compares current Canadian sociological data with findings from elsewhere. Students learn to see themselves and the world in which they live through various sociological perspectives.
- SOCI 103 – Canadian Society: The study of Canada as a developed, ethnically diverse, and multicultural society, with special attention to the adaptation experiences of its Asian immigrant groups and their descendants: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and South Asian.
- SOCI 200 – Research Methods in the Social Sciences: This course offers an introduction to the design and practice of social research that provides the skills to ask and answer questions about the everyday and changing social world. A broad range of qualitative and quantitative methods are presented that include survey research, interviewing, descriptive and inferential statistics, participant observation and ethnography. Students will consider the ethical questions that arise in doing social research, as well as the political implications of its results
- SOCI 220 – Social Movements and Social Change: This course will examine some current and historical movements in which people have joined together to struggle for and sometimes conversely against social change. Examples of activist collective behaviour will be drawn from various places and times, focusing largely on contemporary movements within North America.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for instructing, assisting students’ acquisition of learning outcomes, and applying active learning strategies within the classroom.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-time, contract
TERM: Winter 2023 (January 9th, 2023 – April 18th, 2023)
LOCATION: Burnaby/Vancouver Campus
SCHEDULE: Flexible, dependent on availability
WHY JOIN US:
- Group extended health, dental, and life benefits
- Annual Professional Development days
- Health and Wellness counselling sessions for staff and faculty
- Employee engagement events and activities
- Facilities: Brand new campus and office space that emphasizes a culture of environmentally friendly practices. Secure bike lockers and shower.
- Supportive, friendly, and encouraging team of people
WHO WE ARE: Alexander College is a private post-secondary institution serving approximately 4,000 students every year. Students choose to study at Alexander College to complete their Associate of Arts or Science degree or take a variety of University Transfer courses. We strive for excellence in higher education for students from many cultural backgrounds and language abilities by providing university transfer courses and degree programs, individual support services, and campus activities to foster local and global community engagement.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Sociology, or equivalent
- 2 years’ experience teaching the same or similar courses at another BC post-secondary institution
- Able to demonstrate success in innovative or student-centered teaching techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of course learning outcomes an asset
- Proficient with educational technology including databases and online learning environments
- Excellent instructional capability
- Able to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.)
- Strong Proficiency in English
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please visit our careers page for the full position description: https://alexandercollege.ca/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter, CV and statement of teaching philosophy with the e-mail title being “[Your Full name] _Sociology Instructor (Sessional) Winter 2023”. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to this team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Other titles for this role: Sessional Instructor, University Teacher, Lecturer, Contract Instructor
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Burnaby, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Master’s Degree (preferred)
- teaching: 1 year (preferred)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.