Victoria Event Centre
Job Title: Social Media, Marketing and Publicity Strategist
Wage: $23.50 per hour
Hours: 30 hours per week
The Victoria Multicultural Society operates the Victoria Event Centre (VEC), located in downtown Victoria, Lkwungen Territory. Opening its doors in 2003, the VEC is a favourite venue for artists and local community organizers. Appreciated by producers and organizers for its versatility and affordability, the VEC has been home to countless shows that have brought music, comedy, theater, burlesque, cultural performance and activism.
We are looking for a savvy professional in social media and press marketing to help promote our events and get as much exciting information as we can out to the public to increase our reach.
To produce arts and cultural events, and work in partnership with local arts and cultural groups and individuals to experiment with and develop and present new events/shows/opportunities. To provide an affordable, flexible, accommodating multi-purpose venue for arts and entertainment groups, cultural organizations and non-profit communities to hold their shows/performances, fundraisers, cultural and community celebrations.
- Supportive of local arts and culture
- Professionalism & Excellent Customer Service
- Freedom of Artistic/Creative Expression
Reporting to the Executive Director and the Booking Manager, the SMMP Strategist is responsible for the overall storytelling for the various activities happening at the VEC, from night time performances, daytime workshops and programming and other initiatives. A strong writer and content creator, the SMMP Strategist will also oversee the development, production and implementation of communications strategies, online stories, web content, social media and media stories to increase awareness of our programming.
The VEC has a diverse audience base, as we host events from other not for profits, and we are looking for someone to work closely with the production team to figure out how to get our programming out to those who want to know about it, using social media, plan and create content and stories for dissemination through various channels, including the VEC website, newsletters, social media, and press releases.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain the VEC’s social media channels and public image
- In partnership with external event promoters, develop communication strategies to ensure high attendance and wide spread awareness of the VEC’s programming
- Create engaging original content, including online stories, social media posts, press releases, newsletters, photos and video content
- Attend events at the VEC to capture video and photo footage, engage with audiences and support
- Develop a long-term communications plan for the VEC to grow its audiences
- Maintain the VEC website through copy, content and design as needed
- Degree or diploma in marketing and communications or significant experience in a similar role
- Strong knowledge of social media, including Hootsuite
- Strong knowledge of WordPress and ability to maintain content and style
- Excellent writing skills and confidence in drafting copy for public content
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a team, as well as to be self motivated and accountable
- Astute ability to prioritize, with efficient decision-making and demonstrated ability to work under pressure while managing tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to manage the demands of multiple engaged stakeholder
- Creative and analytical thinking;
- A passion or involvement in live music and/or the performing arts
How to apply
All interested applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter.
We welcome and value the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourage everyone to apply.
Thank you kindly for your application and your interest in this position. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 30 per week
Salary: $23.50 per hour
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- Why do you want to work at the VEC?
- What is your availability?
- Social Media Marketing: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Victoria, BC V8W 2B2
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.