Vancouver Film School
The Senior Writer is a key contributor in the creative development of a project, from concept to final proofing, and works closely with visual designers, web designers/ developers, media producers, coordinators, PR, management, and faculty to execute his or her responsibilities. The Senior Writer will report to the Creative Director and the Director of Marketing.
Please note: This contract is until September 2023.
- Write powerful, clear copy for web, print advertising, blog, social media, video, listings, editorial, PR, internal documents, and more
- Help build and maintain VFS brand voice and tone
- Edit, improve, and sharpen existing copy to conform to an established tone and style – and be actively engaged in defining the VFS tone and voice
- Work with creative to develop original, imaginative concepts based on strategic briefs
- Proofread and fact-check copy from a wide variety of sources with 100% accuracy
- Work closely with management, coordinators, and creatives to see projects through from concept to delivery
- Provide writing support to all Marketing team members and VFS senior management
- Take an active role in developing and maintaining the overall marketing message for each of VFS’s 15 programs, and write copy in support of that message
- Independently research student work, alumni credits, curriculum, and the entertainment arts
- Liaise with faculty, staff, and alumni on an ongoing basis
- Maintain awareness of the latest developments in film, TV, video games, design, and digital media
- Report on VFS events, alumni successes, student experiences, etc.
- The role is not solely journalism, PR, or SEO-driven, but does incorporate aspects of all three.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing and Creative Director
Skills, Experience, and Education Requirements:
- Degree or diploma in Creative Writing or Marketing with a strong focus on copywriting
- Five to six years of relevant experience
- Strong conceptual thinking; equally skilled at developing short and long copy
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading ability
- In-depth understanding of basic user experience for web copy and online mediums
- Proficiency with key Windows software, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with WordPress and Photoshop
- Knowledge of major social platforms and their use in a marketing context, including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and LinkedIn.
- The ability to multi-task, set priorities, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment
- Attention to detail and organizational skills are absolutely essential.
Vancouver Film School believes in diversity in all forms and we’re committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. As our team grows, we’re looking to work with a wide range of creatives and professionals from different backgrounds, including but not limited to Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, newcomers to Canada, seniors, visible minorities and people from all genders, sexual orientation and religious backgrounds. We want to assure both our students and staff that this is of the utmost importance and strive to improve representation in all areas.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Extended health care
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- VANCOUVER, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Are you legally allowed to work in Canada
Work Location: Hybrid remote in VANCOUVER, BC
Expected start date: 2023-01-23
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.