University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
M&P – AAPS
AAPS Salaried – Marketing and Sales, Level B2
Senior Manager, Administration and Communications
Administration jobsincanada.one Continuing Professional Development jobsincanada.one Faculty of Medicine
$7,071.58 – $10,169.00 CAD Monthly
The Compensation Range is the span between the minimum and maximum base salary for a position. The midpoint of the range is approximately halfway between the minimum and the maximum and represents an employee that possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience for the position. In the normal course, employees will be hired, transferred or promoted between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range for a job.
Posting End Date
November 24, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Nov 15, 2024
This position is expected to be filled by promotion/reassignment and is included here to inform you of its vacancy at the University.
This position is located within a health-care facility. Therefore, this positions requires successful verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by the provincial health mandate.
UBC Continuing Professional Development (UBC CPD), an academic Division of the Faculty of Medicine, offers hundreds of continuing professional development activities each year — large medical conferences, online courses, skills-based workshops and coaching programs. UBC CPD is a leader in medical education for practicing health professionals with a strong reputation in British Columbia and has a growing presence nationally and internationally. The Senior Manager, Administration and Communications, leads the operational functions and teams responsible for a broad range of internal support services across the unit, including marketing and communications, human resources, financial and technology systems to advance the UBC CPD vision for optimal health for everyone through continuing professional development.
A key member of CPD’s senior management team, the Senior Manager, Administration and Communications, acts as an advisor to UBC CPD leaders about market opportunities, data-driven business intelligence, systems and resource planning, assessing reputational risk and provides internal communications support. The Sr. Manager also plays a key role in developing and implementing comprehensive policies, procedures and systems across the unit.
This position sits within the Division of Continuing Professional Development (UBC CPD) of the Faculty of Medicine and reports to the Director, UBC CPD. The Senior Manager, Administration and Communications works closely with senior managers from UBC CPD portfolios, the Faculty of Medicine’s Creative and Communications, Human Resources, Finance and Information Technology teams, external vendors and other UBC departments. The position oversees two distinct teams: administration and marketing and communications.
UBC’s Faculty of Medicine is ranked among the world’s top medical schools with the fifth-largest MD enrollment in North America, the UBC Faculty of Medicine is a leader in both the science and the practice of medicine. Across British Columbia, more than 12,000 faculty and staff are training the next generation of doctors and health care professionals, making remarkable discoveries, and helping to create the pathways to better health for our communities at home and around the world.
The Faculty—comprised of approximately 2,200 administrative support, technical/research and management and professional staff, as well approximately 650 full-time academic and over 10,000 clinical faculty members—is composed of 19 academic basic science and/or clinical departments, three schools, and 24 research centres and institutes. Together with its University and Health Authority partners, the Faculty delivers innovative programs and conducts research in the areas of health and life sciences. Faculty, staff and trainees are located at university campuses, clinical academic campuses in hospital settings and other regionally based centres across the province.
Our Vision: To Transform Health for Everyone Our Values: Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Collaboration and Equity A Division of the Faculty, UBC CPD has a mission to work collaboratively to design and deliver exceptional learning opportunities for health professionals that improve care and respond to emerging health needs. UBC CPD is a unique, cost-recovery unit within the Faculty of Medicine.
UBC CPD is an active member of the health community through BC with partnerships including high profile stakeholder organizations such as the Ministry of Health, Doctors of BC and others nationally. The Senior Manager, Administration and Communications, works with considerable latitude and manages a team of administrative, marketing and communications professionals.
1. Provides administrative and operational leadership across the unit
• Oversees and manages the recruitment and performance of marketing, communications and administrative professionals
• Oversees and manages the marketing and communications budget, administration budgets
• Provides administrative oversight to the UBC CPD operational plan, the divisional budget, internal and issues communications plans, and onboarding and offboarding processes
• Identifies and provides training and professional development opportunities for UBC CPD staff as required
• Develops and provides the infrastructure for effective project management with systems and processes, providing systems-level oversight
2. Leads and oversees the UBC CPD marketing and communications strategy
• Leads the UBC CPD brand across all digital platforms
• Develops and implements a digital marketing and communications roadmap
• Establishes an evaluation framework and reports key performance metrics for UBC CPD marketing and communications strategies
• Performs market research to strengthen business intelligence
• Develops and leads digital marketing and communications campaigns that extend reach and bolster the UBC CPD reputation and grow revenue-generating opportunities
• • Collaborates with CPD senior managers to identify marketing and communications opportunities, prepares proposals and attends client meetings
• Establishes and implements effective and efficient marketing and communications workflows in support of the Division’s activities
• Builds and strengthens relationships with internal departments, external vendors and partners in support of the marketing and communications strategy
• Leads external communication and learner engagement strategy
3. Oversees the UBC CPD content strategy
• Oversees the editorial calendar for online content scheduling for web, social media, digital advertising and email platforms
• Manages the overall brand, tone and quality of digital communications
• Identifies story-telling opportunities and integrate UBC and Faculty of Medicine content into the UBC CPD strategy and channels
• Promotes UBC CPD content through internal and external channels for cross-UBC and partner content delivery
4. Oversees and supports and integrated technology strategy for online learner experience
• Oversees the UBC CPD website, contracts with external vendors and web-related expenses
• Oversees the UBC CPD database, contracts with external vendors and database-related expenses
• Manages the expectations on the website and database project priorities
• Collaborates with leadership and CPD team as a member of the technology oversight and technology working groups to identify and resolve user-experience issues
• Communicates and provides training to UBC CPD staff related to website and database projects
• Supports the identification and implementation of UBC CPD technology solutions
5. Oversees and manages the human resource and financial planning of the business unit
• Creates and implements comprehensive policies and procedures for UBC CPD, in alignment with UBC and Faculty of Medicine timelines and requirements
• Ensures that people, systems, and processes are in place to support the Division’s strategic objectives
6. Oversees operational processes for systems, human resources and fiscal reporting
• • Manages the priorities, workflow and approval processes for effective and efficient operational practices within the unit
• Creates and implements consistencies and standards across divisional portfolios related to business practices
• Liaises and collaborates with Finance, Human Resources and Information Technology teams to plan and resource ongoing needs of the division
7. Acts as an advisor to leadership, identifies reputational risk and leads internal communications strategy
• Supports leadership communication, including memos, announcements, presentations and updates
• Provides and implements change management communication support to senior management
• Identifies and supports the management of reputational and operational risk.
• Identifies opportunities for PR promotional activities and work with UBC and Faculty of Medicine communicators on media inquiries and issues with reputational risk
The incumbent may be responsible for other duties, as assigned. On occasion, may be required to work evenings and weekends.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The Senior Manager, Administration and Communications, must exhibit sound judgement and be able to work independently. Consequences of errors could be detrimental to the public image of the Faculty of Medicine. Errors in judgement could have long-term financial and non-financial consequences across the entire CPD unit. Lack of diplomacy, foresight or sound judgment could have a serious negative impact on the reputation of UBC CPD, the Faculty of Medicine and the university at large. Supervision Received Reports to the Director, CPD. Works autonomously with considerable latitude. Work is reviewed in terms of achievement of defined goals.
Reports to the Director, CPD. Works autonomously with considerable latitude. Work is reviewed in terms of achievement of defined goals.
The position manages the performance, training and development of two teams: Marketing and Communications (3 staff) and Administration (3 staff).
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of five years of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Master’s degree in communications, business or related field is preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Experience leading and managing change in a complex environment
• Strong leadership, sound judgement and relationship-building skills are required
• Ability to build and lead high functioning, high performance teams
• Thorough understanding of the digital media landscape and experience managing digital media, online and interactive marketing/ communications, email and social media
• Demonstrated experience managing and/or developing an institutional or consumer-facing web and digital presence that interfaces with multiple target audiences
• Experience developing proposals, cases for support and presentations
• Ability to demonstrate and report on complex process, technical integrations and evaluation data
• Experience managing reputation risk in an online environment, with knowledge of issues and crisis management
• Working knowledge of user experience journeys, and website writing and design best practices
• Experience working in a complex organizational structure or large multiple stakeholder environment
• Experience in the higher education, adult learning, or public/non-profit sector is preferred
• Experience with public relations, media relations and issues management is an asset
• Knowledge of online best practices for learner engagement, accessibility and content management
• Knowledge of FIPPA and UBC Privacy and Security
• Exemplifies the attributes of UBC’s brand and UBC CPD values
• French language skills an asset
This is a term position with the possibility of extension.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.