Like our small business customers, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs who are driven by core values and operating principles that guide every decision we make.
As a Senior Data Engineer with Pie, you will be a key member that will work directly with our data architect team to define the future state of our data architecture. This role will work in data architecture, analytics engineering and reporting, and platform and ETL development.
Success in this position will be establishing how data comes into and flows through the Pie insurance platform. This data will be used to help our organization quote customers based on best policy and prices for their workers compensation insurance.
How You’ll Do It
- Develop complex and efficient data pipelines to transform raw data sources into powerful, reliable components of our data models
- Design, build and maintain data pipelines ensuring data quality, efficient processing, and timely delivery of accurate and trusted data
- Work closely with the analytics engineering team to grow Pie’s analytics capabilities with faster, more reliable data pipelines, and better tools
- Collaborate with the data architecture team to design data models for optimal storage and retrieval, to meet critical business requirements
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, and Engineering teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Maintain high standards of engineering excellence through code reviews, unit tests, and robust alerting
- Mentor and provide technical excellence for other members of the data team
- Drive cross-team initiatives showing leadership and influencing others to achieve a common goal
- Work with our analytics engineers, analysts and scientists to ensure we have optimal, documented and adequately tested dimensional data models
- Drive best practices for data governance, privacy and security
- Take an active part in the operational responsibilities for running our data infrastructure while improving the cost efficiency, monitoring and observability of our data stack
The Right Stuff
- Minimum 5 years experience as a software engineer or data engineer with focus on data systems
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing modern data warehouse/data lake solutions with an understanding of best practices
- Previous work experience in a cloud-based environment (AWS preferred)
- Advanced proficiency in writing complex SQL statements and manipulating large structured and semi-structured datasets.
- Proficiency in Python or other programmatic languages is preferred
- Strong demonstrated knowledge with industry standard ETL/ELT and data orchestration tools such as Airflow, Stitch, or Fivetran
- Experience modeling data in a data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, and or BigQuery
- Experience with Airflow or another type of DAG scheduler
- Working knowledge of visualization tools such as Looker or Tableau
- Hands-on experience working with technologies in Pie’s tech stack: AWS, Airflow, Snowflake, Looker, and Monte Carlo
- Working knowledge of Data Observability Platforms such as Monte Carlo or Atlan is a bonus
Compensation Range for position: $150,000 – $205,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.