Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, administers accounts. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Processes or monitors the processing of financial, accounting and payroll transactions. Examines, analyses and reconciles accounting and financial records as well as documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans and others. Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Performs various administrative tasks according to the needs of the unit.
Major Duties And Responsibilities:
• Administers accounts. Organizes distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Prepares journal and ledger entries. Processes or monitors the processing of financial and accounting transactions. Examines and
analyses accounting and financial records and documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans and others.
• Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, tax laws as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of these matters and gives explanations to researchers, staff and agencies.
• Sets up accounts, sub-accounts, and budgets. Approves expenditures, receives funds and processes deposits. Compiles and prepares material to be sent to bank. Reviews, verifies and processes expense reports, requisitions, claims, advances, savings bonds, invoicing and charges.
• Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Makes corrections, processes adjustments and follows up on problems. Audits outstanding items.
• Verifies the completeness and accuracy of documentation.
• Prepares schedules, reports and financial statements. Makes recommendations on budget allocations. Supplies information and documentation to auditors.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills And/or Abilities:
Knowledge of accounting principles. Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and initiative. Proven ability to prioritize and multitask to meet strict deadlines. Client-focused and service-oriented with a proven ability to assist a variety of clients (academics, managers, other administrators). Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated effective communication skills (ability to clearly transmit and receive information both in writing and verbally). Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing software, spreadsheets (Excel), databases (Access). Experience with McGill Finance applications (BANNER FIS, Minerva Student Funding, Crystal Reports). English, spoken and written. French, spoken and read.
McGill University is committed to equity and diversity within its community and values academic rigour and excellence. We welcome and encourage applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.
At McGill, research that reflects diverse intellectual traditions, methodologies, and modes of dissemination and translation is valued and encouraged. Candidates are invited to demonstrate their research impact both within and across academic disciplines and in other sectors, such as government, communities, or industry.
McGill further recognizes and fairly considers the impact of leaves (e.g., family care or health-related) that may contribute to career interruptions or slowdowns. Candidates are encouraged to signal any leave that affected productivity, or that may have had an effect on their career path. This information will be considered to ensure the equitable assessment of the candidate’s record.
McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated equity groups to self-identify. It further seeks to ensure the equitable treatment and full inclusion of persons with disabilities by striving for the implementation of universal design principles transversally, across all facets of the University community, and through accommodation policies and procedures . Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.