Posted Date: Feb 13 2023
The Scientific Advisor within Medical Affairs will be responsible for providing expert scientific capability and leadership while managing a broad range of Medical Affairs activities associated with their assigned products and therapy area;
This role will require the individual to represent the med affairs function as part of the Respiratory cross functional team, engaging key external and internal stakeholders
- The individual will be responsible strategic decision and guidance with regards the development of the respiratory biologic portfolio.
- They will evaluate and support development and implement local research strategies to address data gaps and advance the scientific/clinical understanding of GSK medicines
- They will be accountable for leading external scientific/clinical exchange with the scientific and medical community and to bring the medical voice of the customer back into the organization (includes 1:1 interaction, advisory boards, medical education, congress presentations, publications and congress sponsorships).
- They will work with the Medical team, the cross-functional teams, and global teams providing scientific/clinical expertise, advice and technical leadership on GSK products in the Canadian market by developing and implementing a local, integrated medical strategy and customer engagement plans.
- Provide expert scientific product and disease knowledge and trusted medical leadership to GSK Canada and to above country Medical Networks
- Build and leverage high quality scientific knowledge and capability expertise across the enterprise in collaboration with Medical Strategic Operations and Capability Excellence
- Deliver external engagement excellence characterized by timely, responsible and responsive interactions with the external medical and scientific community to achieve a two-way trusted scientific partnership
- Accountable for regular review and analysis of data analytics and medical voice of customer to derive insights and develop action plans to deliver on the medical strategy
Lead, develop and implement a local Medical Strategic Plan for medicines within assigned therapy area including:
- Identifying areas of research interest and developing timely local study protocols which advance the scientific understanding of our medications
- Identifying areas of medical education interest
- Identifying advisory board/1:1 interaction needs and leading their implementation and follow-up.
- Ensuring alignment with commercial strategic planning
- Managing research budget and budget forecasting processes for assigned products and therapy areas
- Evaluate investigator-sponsored studies to advance research on disease and its treatment, aligned to the areas of research interest
- Deliver study reports and local publications related to local research activities
- Support the TA Director in the review of all medical grant and donation requests (including Independent Medical Education requests) and congress sponsorship requests to ensure alignment with therapy area strategies.
- Lead the development and implementation of advice seeking interactions (e.g. 1:1 interaction, advisory boards)
- Accountable for the management of therapy aligned medical content to deliver on the Global HCP Engagement Initiative
- Leverage medical and scientific knowledge to ensure that all materials produced are medically and scientifically accurate and in compliance with local and GSK requirements
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ability to apply scientific knowledge and lead research programs
- Must possess a good understanding of the Canadian healthcare environment
- Ability to manage relationships with internal and external partners including Key External Experts and global stakeholders
- Strong ability to leverage scientific knowledge
- Strong ability to develop timely and meaningful research protocols and study reports
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and problem-solving capabilities
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Advanced post graduate scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD)
- Industry Medical Affairs experience– with specific experience in Respiratory
- Demonstrated ability to work as a strategic partner with commercial functions
- Solid project management skills
- Strong business and financial acumen
Why GSK? (the following is standard for all job descriptions depending on if the role is “New GSK”)
We prevent and treat disease with vaccines and specialty and general medicines. We focus on the science of the immune system, human genetics, and advanced technologies, investing in four core therapeutic areas (Infectious Disease, HIV, Oncology, and Immunology/ Respiratory) and future opportunities to impact health at scale. Our pipeline currently comprises 57 vaccines and medicines, predominantly in infectious diseases, oncology, and immune-mediated diseases.
We operate by the multiplier effect of Science x Technology x Culture. This approach helps us accelerate the pace at which we develop and deliver transformational medicines, prioritising those molecules with a higher probability of success and terminating less promising programmes. It also enables us to increase our focus on specialty medicines in areas such as oncology.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
GSK is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to apply to our career opportunities. GSK is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact us at [email protected] Please do not send resumes to this e-mail and instead apply through the online application process of this posting.
As a health and science-based organization, GSK is committed to following the recommendations as set out by Health Canada and taking all necessary steps to help curb the spread of COVID-19 which includes getting the COVID-19 vaccine. We feel strongly that this is the best way to help protect those we value most: our employees, families, communities and the patients and consumers we serve. To that end, we are taking an important step to ensure the safety of our employees during this global public health crisis.
Only employees who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may attend our Mississauga and Laval corporate offices. In addition, all customer-facing employees who, as part of their job, attend healthcare settings such as hospitals, pharmacies, doctors’ offices and dentists’ offices will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Notwithstanding the foregoing, employees may seek an accommodation for human rights-related reasons, including medical or disability-related conditions, or religious beliefs.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.