University of Saskatchewan
The University of Saskatchewan’s (USask) main campus is located in the vibrant city of Saskatoon on Treaty 6 territory and the traditional homeland of the Métis. USask is one of the top research-intensive, medical doctoral universities in Canada, and is home to world-leading research in areas of global importance, such as water and food security and infectious diseases.
The Office of the Vice-President Research (OVPR) provides visionary leadership and strategic direction to the university’s research, scholarly, and artistic works. This is achieved by creating strategic partnerships, plans, and policies that together create a supportive research environment indicative of a world-class research-intensive university.
Primary Purpose:To manage, coordinate, and provide support to the Research Ethics Review Board (REB) and the human research ethics review process and compliance requirements.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Associate Vice-President Research (Ethics and Infrastructure), the position is responsible for providing support to the human ethics review process. This work requires handling inquiries of a confidential or sensitive nature in a professional manner, providing guidance to researchers based on policies and procedures, and independently determining solutions or appropriate actions as required. This position is expected to support and work collaboratively with all positions within the office. The position works in a high volume office with strict deadlines and an environment of multiple and competing priorities.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
- Coordinate and manage research ethics submissions using the University Research System (UnivRS).
- Undertake a review and evaluation of applications to ensure regulatory and federal compliance.
- Advise the REB Chair, REB Vice-Chair and Members on issues and ethical concerns associated with ethics submissions.
- Manage the organization and logistics of REB meetings.
- Maintain accurate and complete documentation of REB decisions during meetings.
- Organize and manage REB membership and training.
- Provide advice to researchers on institutional and federal regulations and guidelines for preparation of research ethics applications and associated documents.
- Other duties as assigned for the unit.
Education:Post-secondary education, preferably an undergraduate degree in a related field would be an asset.
Experience: Two to three years experience in a university administration environment, and preferably, an understanding of the human ethics review process. Experience working with UnivRS would be an asset.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Effective organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, to manage workload and meet deadlines;
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and creativity;
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and situations;
- Demonstrated aptitude for working both independently and in a team-oriented atmosphere;
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict and stress;
- Proficiency with computer use in a PC environment, as well as advanced knowledge of software applications including spreadsheets, word processing, presentation, and database software.
Department: Rsrch Excellence & Innovation
Status: Term 1 year with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Employment Group: ASPA
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $49,301.00 – 77,033.00 per annum. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable): Specialist Professional
Salary Phase/Band: Phase 1
Posted Date: 11/24/2022
Closing Date: 12/7/2022
Number of Openings: 2
Work Location: May be eligible for hybrid work under the terms of USask’s Alternative Workspace Guidelines
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where ‘Yes’ is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver’s License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
Please review the University of Saskatchewan’s health and safety requirements for faculty, staff andstudents in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.