University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Hourly – Research Assistant /Technician 1
Research Assistant Technician 1
Facilities jobsincanada.one Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics jobsincanada.one Faculty of Medicine
$22.03 – $24.18 CAD Hourly
Posting End Date
March 25, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Mar 15, 2024
This position is located within a health-care facility, therefore, the successful candidate will be required to provide verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by a provincial health mandate.
At UBC, we believe that attracting and sustaining a diverse workforce is key to the successful pursuit of excellence in research, innovation, and learning for all faculty, staff and students. Our commitment to employment equity helps achieve inclusion and fairness, brings rich diversity to UBC as a workplace, and creates the necessary conditions for a rewarding career.
This is a casual on-call position for a Research Assistant Technician 1. This position requires maintaining daily care of laboratory mice; changing and cleaning animal cages, and racks; maintaining mouse data; performing census duties; disinfecting rooms; and general upkeep of the animal facility.
The incumbent will report to the assistant manager or the manager of the transgenic unit, who reports to the director of the facility, who reports to the director of CMMT
- Maintaining daily care of laboratory mice;
- Changing and cleaning animal cages and racks;
- General upkeep of animal facility, including disinfecting rooms;
- Maintaining mouse data and performing census duties;
- Lifting heavy items (up to 25kg)
- Other related animal unit duties.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Work is subject to supervision by facility manager and co-workers. The impact of an incorrect decision could be major, since the facility houses very valuable research mice. The procedures and protocols in place to protect these mice from disease and harm must be strictly adhered to.
Direct supervision is provided by the manager of the animal facility, who reports to the Director of the facility (a faculty member).
There is no supervisory role with this position.
High school graduation and a minimum one year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- VOA (Veterinary office assistant) certification and one year of related experience preferred.
- CALAS (Canadian Association of Lab Animal Science) certification at the ALAT level preferred but lower classifications or equivalent experience will be considered.
- Candidate will have effective oral and written communication and good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established guidelines and protocols.
- Ability to work independently or within a team environment
- Ability to complete work assignments in a timely fashion is a must.
- Computer experience and the physical ability to lift and carry materials up to 25 kg are required
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.