The Meaney-Silveira Lab at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute of McGill University
Research Assistant – Full-time
The Meaney-Silveira laboratories at the Douglas Hospital Research Centre of McGill University focuses on translational research that examines environmental influences on epigenetic regulation of genome function and its impact on brain development and mental health. The teams provide a dynamic environment with multiple post-doctoral fellows, graduate students, research assistants, and research associates from diverse research backgrounds. We offer an enriching experience in multiple research platforms with significant opportunities for both academic and professional development.
The research assistant is responsible for carrying out a diverse range of wet lab procedures and related activities. The individual will be responsible for receiving, storing, processing, and shipping precious research specimens. There is an opportunity to learn advanced techniques in molecular biology related to analyses of gene expression. All work done must adhere to good laboratory practices (GLP) and lab standard operating procedures (SOPs).
· Undergraduate degree in science (ideally in molecular biology. biochemistry, or another related field).
· At least one (1) year of experience in an equivalent position or comparable training.
· Familiarity with conducting a variety of basic molecular biology lab techniques with accuracy and efficiency in accordance with GLP standards.
· A knowledge of specimen handling requirements and attention to detail.
· Experience with automation of laboratory protocols (e.g., nucleic acid extraction) or high-through put sample processing is desirable but not essential as training will be provided.
· Use and maintain inventory management software to track sample processing and storage.
· Ability to perform regular maintenance of laboratory equipment by inspecting, calibrating, cleaning, or sterilizing according to GLP.
· Maintain all documentation relevant to each analytical process and related activity, produce reports and interact with other lab members for analysis and verification of specific data points.
· Proficiency with data entry and computer applications, basic analytics (descriptive stats and plots).
· Required languages: English.
Salary will be aligned with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.