If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is one of Canada’s most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university’s smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. Carleton is recognized annually as a top regional employer and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence, and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work. Situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and historic Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation’s government and G-7 organizations, providing opportunities for staff and faculty to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the primary supervision of the Team Lead (depending on the resource needs of the Registrar’s Office), and reporting to either the Assistant Registrar, Central Academic Records, or the Assistant Registrar, Student Services, Registration & Undergraduate Appeals, the incumbent:
Responds to telephone, counter, mail, fax and email enquiries on registrarial processes; provides preliminary advice, information and literature to a large client base including; current students, former students, prospective non-degree students, staff, faculty and external organizations. Assists clients with completing various forms, applications, or document requests; explains the university undergraduate calendar rules and regulations; confirms information provided on various internal and external forms, applications or document requests by validating against the data on the Banner student information system; clarifies students needs and when necessary refers clients to registrarial specialists for further information and assistance; enters data from various forms using the Banner student information system; processes registration amendments/updates; processes registration or other records activities within front counter parameters; supports office filing;; intakes and validates all incoming student applications and related documentation ensuring established guidelines are met; produces official documentation. assists with registration adjustments in the Banner system.
Provides clerical support as required on a daily basis and supports additional project work as assigned.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal with varied and complex queries handled on the telephone and at the counter, and by email.
• Initiative and judgement is required when making decisions, identifying and providing the most up-to-date information, or determining the ultimate destination of vague correspondence and identifying the best avenue for referrals.
• Problems are usually solved within established guidelines but resourcefulness and creativity are necessary to perform required duties.
• Performing these duties requires sound knowledge of the university structure and the internal processes, as well as tact and diplomacy.
• Resourcefulness and creativity in the production of official university documents is needed in dealing with problems, deadlines imposed by other universities or government agencies, equipment and system failure, and overlapping project deadlines.
• Data entry or validation of data requires considerable attention to detail and sound knowledge of the way in which that duty impacts the rest of the process.
• Confidentiality is critical.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through:
• The completion of secondary school, plus 1 year of post-secondary education
• Five years’ experience in a customer-focused service environment, preferably 1 – 2 years within a post-secondary.
• Proven computer knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, email applications and internet.
• Experience with Banner (or a similar student information system) including Banner Document Management (or a similar electronic file management system)
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is regularly required to work on campus. Due to the ongoing dynamic nature of Covid-19, you may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements. If this happens, you will work with your direct manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. You are required to follow all directives to set up a safe and confidential workspace in a remote location and ensure all Carleton property (intellectual and other) is safeguarded. If required to work remotely, you will be notified by your manager when working full time physically onsite will resume.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.