Minimum of 3 years as a QA Manager in food processing/manufacturing facilities?
In-depth understanding of micro/chemical testing?
Strong hands-on experience at conducting microbiological testing on poultry products?
Comprehensive knowledge of CFIA, HACCP, SSOP?
HACCP and/or BRCGS certified? Preferred.
If your answer is “yes” to all those questions, then we want to speak with YOU!!
Who are we?
Burnbrae Farms is a proud 6th generation Canadian family owned and operated egg business, producing eggs for over 70 years, with facilities across Canada (Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, British Columbia, and Quebec).
We are the leader in the egg production industry. When you join us, you don’t just work for us – YOU ARE PART OF THE FAMILY.
Quality Assurance Manager
Reports to: Director, National Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Address: 500 Pandora Avenue West Winnipeg, MB R2C 1N1
Team consists of:
· 1 Egg Processing & 1 Egg Grading Plant
o 1 x Supervisor
o 2 x Food Safety Coordinator
o 6 x QA Technician
The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for ensuring adherence to corporate quality standards for the processing and distribution of liquid, frozen and cooked egg products from the processing plant and graded eggs from the grading plant; and, that these products meet or exceed all external requirements (customers, regulatory and other agencies) including all requirements under our internal Quality Assurance System (British Retail Consortium “BRC”).
A primary focus for the Quality Assurance Manager will be the sanitary processing and packaging of manufactured egg products to meet or exceed overall quality standards. This will require that all facilities and equipment and all required laboratory and testing procedures meet rigorous sanitation and cleanliness standards. The Quality Assurance Manager will provide an overall leadership role, to protect and enhance the quality of products, facilities, and equipment through leading by example.
· Implements established quality and food safety standards for all processed products within the assigned facilities.
· Working with plant management and taking whatever action is necessary, up to halting an operation or shutting down a facility, should violations of established quality standards or procedures occur, or if sub-standard laboratory results and/ or unacceptable products should surface.
· Ensures that established laboratory methods, analysis and interpretation of results are regularly communicated to plant management and appropriate plant personnel.
· Ensures that testing frequencies and protocols are in place and rigidly enforced for all products.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support to the Quality Assurance team to instill a “quality culture” in the plants.
· Maintains an open line of communication with both plant management and other key floor employees in order to properly emphasize the critical nature of daily product and process cleanliness and insistence on the maintenance and further development of established practices and procedures that in any way relate to product quality.
· Implements sanitation protocols and ensures proper record keeping and regular follow up.
· Monitors various products on a regular basis ensuring adherence to corporate quality standards and specifications.
· Develops and updates a plant employee training program and ensures all employees receive comprehensive training in the proper and consistent execution of personal and facility sanitation practices.
· With the guidance of the National Director, Quality Assurance, and the local plant management, implements quality management programs and integrates these programs with any other focused activity that addresses local quality concerns.
· Works closely with plant management to lead the local Quality Team in preparing plants for third party audits and follows up with any corrective actions or recommendations that are brought forward.
· Establishes and maintains a strong working relationship with inspectors from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and other external auditors; cooperates fully with any directives that are issued ensuring that a positive relationship exists and that the best interests of Burnbrae Farms are maintained at all times.
· Ensures that testing frequencies and protocols are in place and are rigidly enforced for all products.
· Ensures that product specification sheets exist for all products produced at the facility and updates them as required.
· Ensures that any changes in product specification sheets and/or Quality Assurance protocols/programs/standards follow the established “sign off” procedure prior to implementation.
· Prepares certificates of analysis as required.
· Manages the review and approval process for product labels.
· Conducts weekly analysis for microbiological results and issue weekly reports to the plant management and National Director, Quality Assurance.
· Prepare samples for nutritional analysis
· Prepares for and acts as the lead contact during third party audits.
· Under the direction of the National Director, Quality Assurance and plant management participates in any product recalls communicating as required with other managers or customers.
· Handles complaints from customers. Maintains complaint handling files and review periodically to propose corrective actions when required.
· Participates in special projects which may from time to time be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, food science and processing
· In-depth understanding of microbiological testing and limited chemistry testing
· Knowledge of various pathogens and microbes associated with food production
· Hands on experience conducting microbiological testing on egg or poultry products
· Comprehensive knowledge of CFIA, HACCP, Pre-requisites and SSOP requirements
· HACCP and/or BRCGS Certified, preferred
· Ability to uphold regulatory, company and customer standards
· Strong Leadership and team building abilities: influence, mobilizes, gain personal commitment, and achieve results
· Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
· Excellent computer skills; knowledge of Database software; Inventory software; Manufacturing software; Spreadsheet and Word Processing software; QMS system and SAP
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
· Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills
· Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time
· May be required to work excess hours and occasional weekends
· Bilingualism (English/French) would be asset
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field
· 7 to 10 years of related work experience (quality assurance/control) in a food processing or pharmaceutical manufacturer
· 5 to 7 years of experience in a managerial/supervisory role
Remember… When you join us, you don’t just work for us – YOU ARE PART OF THE FAMILY.
**Burnbrae Farms welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process. Should you require accommodation during any part of the selection process please let the recruiter know.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
- Minimum of 3 years as a QA Manager in food processing/manufacturing facilities? Yes or No?
- In-depth understanding of microbiological or chemical testing? Yes or No?
- Strong hands-on experience at conducting microbiological testing on poultry products? Yes or No?
- Comprehensive knowledge of CFIA, HACCP, SSOP? Yes or No? If yes, which one(s).
- HACCP and/or BRCGS certified? Preferred. Yes or No?
- Strong leadership? Yes or No?
- Ability to travel 10% of the time? Yes or No?
- French speaking (nice to have)? Yes or No?
- quality assurance: 5 years (required)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.