University of Calgary
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
Facilities Development is currently seeking a Full-time Limited Term Project Coordinator for approximately 12 months.
The mandate of the Project Management Office (PMO) is to assume responsibility for the successful delivery for all capital projects on campus, inclusive of new construction, building renovation/refurbishment and/or upgrading to existing capital infrastructure. In fulfilling this work, the PMO collaborates extensively with project sponsors, Campus Planning, Campus Engineering, Office of Campus Architect, university financial administrators, Facilities Management, Office of Sustainability, Employee, Health and Safety and Supply Chain Management to ensure that deliverables achieve the intended outcomes. Additionally, in fulfilling this mandate, the PMO assumes an active oversight and coordination role in directing and monitoring the performance of contractors and design consultants. The intended objective is to ensure that all projects are delivered effectively, efficiently, and safely and meet established performance targets. You will be reporting to the Project Manager
The Project Coordinator reports directly to a Project Manager and the primary responsibility is to direct, organize and control project activities, under the direction and supervision of a Project Manager. Project Coordinator will support and collaborate with the Project Manager in overseeing and management of projects. The Project Coordinator does not have the full authority to make all decisions and the ultimate responsibility lies with the Project Manager. The Project Coordinator will also provide advice and support to the PMO with respect of project delivery techniques, methods and risk management. Familiar with the University of Calgary “Statement on Principles of Conduct” and conducts themselves according to these Principles in all situations when acting on behalf of the University of Calgary.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Assist the Project Manager with the drafting and issuance of project charters, project schedules, budgets, work breakdown structures/packages, cash flows, change order documentation, quality assurance plans and project reports
- Ensures all documentation is properly initiated, checked, authorized, and maintained
- Keep the Project Manager and others informed about project status and issues which impact project delivery/outcomes
- The Project Coordinator will perform change control, schedule control, cost management, quality assurance, communication, risk management and project support services for the Project Manager and project team. In addition, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for active liaison with the design team, contractors, internal stakeholders and external agencies
- The Project Coordinator will actively track project status to monitor performance of ensure schedule, budget, scope and quality are being measured and tracked through the use of performance criteria & the specifications set out in the Project Charter, contracts and/or design documents
- As the delivery of capital projects has a significant impact on ongoing campus operations and the environment (teaching research and business operations), work packages and project related activities must be scheduled and delivered in an efficient, effective, safe, minimally disruptive and environmentally sustainable manner
- The Project Coordinator will coordinate the creation and assembly of all documentation which complies with the University’s sanctioned Project Delivery Process, including but not limited to project charters, funding approvals, monthly/quarterly reports, cost monitoring reports and integrated change management and standard project management tools
- The Project Coordinator must ensure compliance with University standards, policies and procedures and ensures that work is completed in compliance with applicable building codes and other relevant legislation.
- This position requires superior project organization, people, business, relationship, technical and financial management skills
- Track the progress and quality of work being performed by design disciplines, contractors and other service providers
- Use project scheduling and control tools to monitor project plans, completion of deliverables, schedules, budgets and expenditures
- Analyze and resolve issues that have the potential to jeopardize performance and/or ability to meet agreed upon deliverables; analyze financial and operational reports
- Ensure project close activates and sign off are down within assigned timeline requirements as set out by the dept
- Review and authorize payment of invoices, progress claims, etc
- Issue minutes, change orders, purchase requisitions and forecasts
Qualifications / Requirements:
- 3-5 years of progressive experience supporting project managers and/or managing projects related to the construction industry, including capital renewal, renovations, and new construction
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in the area(s) of engineering, architecture, project management, and/or environmental design. Alternatively, in lieu of degree or diploma, a combination of progressive 5+ years experience coordinating construction projects in conjunction with project management formalized training will be considered
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction documents, drawings, and specifications as well as current building construction practices and methodology. This include disciplines in architectural, mechanical, structural, electrical & instrumentation, and HVAC
- Understanding of project cost management principles and experience monitoring/controlling project financials, including budgets, commitments, and actual expenditures
- Ability to create project schedules and monitor and control schedule throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Strong understanding of scope management and the ability to work closely with the relevant stakeholders and owner representatives for successful delivery of the approved project
- Experience with contract management and administration, including the CCDC format as well as contract management processes such as tendering, RFIs, change orders, lien holdbacks, etc
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from the Project Management Institute is desirable
- Intermediate proficiency in the use of computerized project management systems including but not limited to Archibus PM module, Share Point, Microsoft Projectand Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication, planning and organizational skills are required
- Ability to demonstrate tactfulness, a collaborative nature, and professionalism while working with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong planning and organizational skills are essential. Must be able to multi task and to efficiently allocate his/her time among multiple projects which are assigned
- Superior flexibility and the ability to respond well to rapidly changing needs and priorities
- Maintains good judgment under pressure
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Driver License is required
Application Deadline: March 30th, 2023
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist / Advisor Job Family, Phase 3.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website .
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca .
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High , committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion ([email protected] ) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources ([email protected] ).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.