Psygen Labs Inc.
December 8, 2022
PSYGEN LABS INC. (PLI) aspires to be a global leader in synthetic manufacture of psychedelic medicines.
Our mission is to provide sustainable and equitable access to psychedelic APIs and drug products for clinical research and therapeutic applications.
Psychedelic drugs are experiencing a renaissance in the clinical treatment of a wide variety of conditions that have eluded widespread successful treatment. Psygen is actively developing technologies and commercial infrastructure for the manufacturing and distribution of psychedelic drugs. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a historical transformation in the mental health and addictions treatment sectors.
Psygen provides a progressive work environment, a competitive compensation and benefits package, and opportunities for personal growth.
Production Chemist – Summary
Reporting to the Director of Laboratory Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting bench- to kilo-scale syntheses of various psychedelic substances in a dedicated state-of-the- art 6000 sq ft R&D and Production manufacturing lab. They must have an excellent understanding of synthetic organic chemistry principles and practices, scale-up and validation of bench-scale processes, and related Quality and Regulatory GMP requirements to ensure that high-purity cGMP psychedelic APIs are produced to the highest quality standards. In addition to the Production synthetic work, the candidate will assist as needed with Research & Development projects in a separate dedicated R&D lab.
The successful candidate must exhibit solid working experience operating and maintaining various lab equipment, including jacketed glass reactor setups, reaction controllers, and automated flash chromatography systems. Additionally, familiarity with HPLC, LCMS, NMR, UV-vis, FTIR, DSC, and XRD, and proficiency in the interpretation of analytical data are integral to the candidates’ success
Candidates with experience in innovative and alternative approaches to organic synthesis, such as flow chemistry, electrosynthesis, photochemistry, mechanochemistry, and green chemistry, are preferred.
Candidate must be willing to re-locate to Calgary, Alberta.
- Report directly to the Director of Laboratory Operations, working closely to set objectives and milestones, and monitor the progress of projects.
- Plan, schedule, and execute gram- to kilogram-scale syntheses and purifications of tryptamines, lysergamides, phenethyl-/phenylisopropylamines, and other psychedelic substances in a cGMP context.
- Scale up, optimize, and validate novel synthetic methods developed by the R&D team, leading to improved routes for kilo-scale API manufacturing.
- Troubleshoot and improve existing processes, with ongoing focus on adopting safe, efficient, cost- effective, and environmentally friendly synthetic pathways and laboratory practices.
- Design and carry out experiments based on project goals, scientific knowledge, and interpretation of analytical data.
- Install, validate, service, and maintain lab instrumentation.
- Perform cleaning validation procedures.
- Plan, schedule, and prioritize laboratory activities to comply with timelines and meet deadlines.
- Maintain lab cleanliness, safety, and cGMP guidelines, certifications, and records for audit purposes.
- Develop clear and concise SOPs, document GMP data in batch records and laboratory notebooks, and contribute to project proposals, scientific reports, risk assessments, and other technical documents.
- Consult with teammates on scientific subjects and active projects, provide feedback and recommendations about interdepartmental matters, and supervise junior team members as needed.
- Coordinate with the Materials Management department to ensure sufficient inventory of chemicals and supplies to perform planned lab activities.
- Assist and coordinate with the Quality Control department for in-process analysis, release testing of finished APIs, and development of specifications for raw materials, intermediates, and APIs.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Quality Assurance, Regulatory Compliance, and Customer
Relations teams for the preparation of Drug Master Files and client CTA/IND filings.
- Assist the R&D department with synthetic route scouting, development, and scale-up as required.
- Contribute to internal and client-focused projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- MSc or PhD in synthetic organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience as production/process chemist in the pharmaceutical industry (MSc:
5+ years; PhD: 2+ years).
- In-depth hands-on experience with multi-step organic synthesis at bench- to kilo-scale in a GMP context, including chemical process development, scale-up, and validation.
- Ability to perform air and moisture sensitive reactions at gram to kilogram scale.
- Hands-on experience with process lab equipment, including jacketed glass reactor setups, temperature control systems, and reaction controllers for process automation.
- Practical experience with purification and separation techniques for the isolation of organic compounds, including automated flash chromatography.
- Experience with innovative and alternative manufacturing technologies, such as flow chemistry, electrosynthesis, photochemistry, mechanochemistry, and green chemistry.
- Familiarity with analytical techniques (HPLC, LCMS, NMR, UV-vis, FTIR, DSC, XRD) and extensive experience in the interpretation of analytical data.
- Proficiency in chemical literature review via scientific database search tools (SciFinder, Reaxys).
- Publication record demonstrating expertise in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Interest in / focus on 5-HT2A receptor agonists and the current resurgence of related research in psychedelic science.
- Demonstrated ability to design, plan, implement, and execute strategies.
- Hands-on, resourceful, proactive, and highly detail oriented.
- Team player who excels in a dynamic environment with challenging timelines.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Curiosity driven with the motivation and ability to troubleshoot challenging processes and solve complex technical problems.
- Committed to continuously improving and updating technical and scientific skills and knowledge.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities in a team-oriented entrepreneurial environment.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00-$90,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.