VIA Rail Canada Inc.
VIA Rail Canada Inc. (VIA Rail) is a Crown corporation that operates the national passenger rail services on behalf of the Government of Canada, offering intercity rail services and ensuring rail transportation services to regional and remote communities. Its objective is to offer a safe, accessible, efficient, reliable, sustainable and environmentally friendly passenger rail service that meets the needs of Canadian passengers.
The President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is accountable to the Corporation’s Board of Directors for the overall operations and performance of the business enterprise. VIA Rail’s performance depends on the advancement of the Corporation’s mission statement throughout the organization. The President and CEO develops, in consultation with the Board and senior management, the corporate strategy and operating plans to achieve the mission, and oversees the ongoing operations of the Corporation, including the development of its management, the allocation of its resources, and the establishment of appropriate internal controls. The President and CEO works with the Board to develop policy and to maintain oversight, and also acts as the Corporation’s chief spokesperson.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the VIA Rail Canada Inc. website.
Diversity and Official Languages
We are committed to providing a healthy and accessible workplace that supports one’s dignity, self-esteem and the ability to work on one’s full potential. With this in mind, all appointees will be expected to take steps to promote and maintain a healthy, respectful, inclusive and harassment-free work environment.
Preference may be given to applicants who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of a visible minority group.
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing applicants. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language.
To be considered, please ensure that the information provided in your curriculum vitae and cover letter clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training and/or experience;
- Experience in implementing modern corporate governance principles and best practices in a culture of accountability and transparency;
- Experience leading an organization through significant operational changes;
- Experience in dealing with senior representatives of different levels of government and the private sector;
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with business partners and other key stakeholders;
- Experience in promoting effective government relations and the implementation of public policy or government initiatives under a federal Crown corporation governance model;
- Significant experience as a CEO or senior executive in an organization of a similar size and complexity, preferably in the transportation sector;
- Experience in establishing and maintaining an effective working and reporting relationship with a board of directors; and
- Experience in one or more of the following areas would be considered an asset: change management, transportation (preferably rail), engineering (preferably in the rail sector), tourism and hospitality, project management for the delivery of a large-scale project, procurement, risk management and real estate management.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Corporation’s mandate, mission, strategic priorities, and business activities including regulatory environments;
- Knowledge of the role and responsibilities of the Chairperson, the Board of Directors and the President and Chief Executive Officer, including fundamental accountabilities to the Government of Canada as shareholder;
- Knowledge of the public policy environment facing a Crown corporation, and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates, including the Financial Administration Act;
- Knowledge of financial and human resources management and risk management;
- Knowledge of strategic corporate planning, monitoring, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Ability to support an organization in promoting diversity, inclusion and a harassment-free work environment; and
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral, and the ability to act as a spokesperson in dealing with the media, public institutions, governments and other organizations.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to confirm that you meet the above selection criteria and that you possess the following Personal Attributes:
- Leadership and sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinking
- Strong business acumen
- Agility to navigate in a complex multi-stakeholder environment
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
- Appointees must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout their appointment as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website under the Forms and reference material.
- All appointees are subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. Public office holders appointed on a full-time basis must also submit to the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics within 60 days of appointment, a confidential report in which they disclose all of their assets, liabilities and outside activities. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website.
- Appointees must uphold the highest standards of probity and are expected to demonstrate behaviours in the workplace that afford respect, equality and dignity, to everyone they interact with at work at all times. The Values and Ethics Code for the Public Sector outlines the values and expected behaviours for public servants, including valuing diversity and creating workplaces free from harassment and discrimination. Governor in Council appointees are expected to uphold and respect these values and principles in a positive and active manner.
- No officer or employee of a Crown corporation or any of its affiliates, other than the chief executive officer of a parent Crown corporation, shall be a director of the parent Crown corporation. (statutory)
- If you are appointed to this position, you must reside in, or be willing to relocate to, Montreal, Quebec, or to a location within reasonable commuting distance.
- If you are appointed to this position, you must be willing to travel with notice across Canada and internationally.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A list of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.
How to Apply
Review of applications (more information available here) will begin on December 12, 2022. Candidates should apply online via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by this date. After this date, your application will be retained and may be considered up until an appointment to the position is made. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Director of Selection Processes, Senior Personnel Secretariat, Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the online application.
Instructions on how to apply for an appointment opportunity can be found on the Governor in Council Appointments website.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.