The University of British Columbia (UBC)
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on a collaborative project between the Walus Lab at UBC Vancouver and Aspect Biosystems Ltd. This role aims to advance Machine Learning and Machine Vision applications in 3D Bioprinting, specifically focusing on Aspect Biosystems unique microfluidic platform.
The PDF researcher will develop innovative machine vision and machine learning approaches to mapping and analyzing flow of biomaterials and cells in the microfluidic 3D bioprinting systems being developed by Aspect Biosystems. Candidates are expected to have proven experience developing state-of-the-art applications of machine learning and machine vision and preferably an understanding of ML/MV applications to liquid flow phenomena.
What you will be working on:
- Research and develop state-of-the-art computer vision, data science, and deep learning technologies.
- Work on high-impact real-world problems and datasets, including image and video analysis, motion tracking, optical flow estimation, data mining, knowledge discovery, structure prediction, data generation and translation, supervised, self-supervised, and unsupervised learning, active learning, and model uncertainty.
- Contribute to end-to-end ML software development from problem formulation and data curation to model design, optimization, evaluation, and deployment.
- Education: PhD in applications of machine learning and machine vision preferably direct applications to imaging and studying flow phenomena.
- Development Experience: Hands-on experience in rapid prototyping with machine learning and deep learning libraries. Preferably also with familiarity of cloud computing, AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.
- Software Experience: Experience in planning and executing reliable and test-driven code. Understanding Git and familiarity with code, data, and ML experiments version-control practices.
- Technical Skills Set: Machine learning, data analysis, database, and scientific computing packages, e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow, Scipy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, SQL. Familiarity with CUDA programming.
- Problem Solver: Demonstrated ability to identify innovative working solutions to problems with challenging constraints.
- Effective Communicator: You have superior written and verbal communication skills. You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Detail Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail, and experimental and process rigor. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence in the work you do.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
This posting is for the UBC Vancouver campus in British Columbia, Canada.
Please refer to reference number NC-56791 during correspondence about this position.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s entrepreneurial spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. UBC encourages its students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
Postdoctoral Fellows at UBC Vancouver
UBC is home to over 900 postdocs spanning all faculties and units across two campuses and a variety of affiliated hospitals, research centres, and sites, providing unparalleled opportunities to learn, discover and contribute in one’s own way. UBC’s Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) is committed to supporting the lives and career aspirations of our Postdocs, with the goal of enriching their experience at UBC and preparing them for the future. In addition to providing support and advocacy for all postdocs, the PDFO is dedicated to providing professional development opportunities that foster the development of soft skills needed in today’s professional environments, helping them secure future careers in their chosen fields.
About UBC’s Faculty of Applied Science
The Faculty of Applied Science comprises a unique constellation of disciplines – including the Schools of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, Community and Regional Planning and Nursing, as well as all engineering activities at both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. Our work and the professional disciplines we represent span the entire human-centred built environment and innovation at all scales – from nanoscale electronic devices that power communications to the design of entire cities.
There has never been a more urgent time for our professions – as planners, architects, nurses and engineers – to come together to build upon our existing strengths and ambitions to ensure a thriving society, to make real impact locally and globally.
With a community of over 300 full-time faculty members and more than 8,600 students across our undergraduate and graduate programs, we shape the leaders and professions that shape the world.
Vancouver is a dynamic, cosmopolitan and progressive city, consistently ranked as one of the top cities to live in the world. Canada’s third largest city has it all: sea, parks, mountains, beaches, and four seasons per year, including beautiful summers and mild, wet winters with snow in the mountains. It’s the perfect backdrop to your academic research.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.