UniversitÃ© de Sherbrooke
Postdoc Position in Membrane Project
The Laboratory of Polymer Chemistry (https://zhao.recherche.usherbrooke.ca/) in the Department of Chemistry (https://www.usherbrooke.ca/chimie/) at Université de Sherbrooke seeks a candidate for a postdoctoral position in the interdisciplinary field of advanced manufacturing of high-performance membranes. The project entitled “_Design and fabrication of antifouling advanced membranes by stimuli-responsive polymers for different applications”_ is mainly an experimental work on membrane performance investigation in water treatment. This position is part of a larger collaborative project between the research team at Université de Sherbrooke and the industrial partners. The successful candidate will be directed by Prof. Yue Zhao, and Dr. Farhad Farnia.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the tasks of the position with a dynamic and creative approach. In particular, the candidate will be expected to:
- Carry out their research projects under the supervision of the professor at Université de Sherbrooke and researchers from Industry,
- Participate in meetings (i.e., individual with the supervisors, group meeting, teleconference and in-person meetings with the industrial partner) and other activities related to the well-being of the lab,
- Prepare technical reports, write scientific papers, etc.
- PhD in materials / polymer chemistry engineering,
- Hands-on experiences with membrane preparation and testing,
- Familiar with water treatment process,
- Microstructural observations and process application on antifouling performance of polymers on membranes,
- Surface characterization, such as polymer characterization,
- Familiar with stimuli-responsive polymers,
- Having a strong research background,
- SEM and/or TEM analysis of the surface on membranes,
How to apply
Candidates should submit an application package consisting of undergraduate and graduate transcripts, a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a copy of their best research contribution (journal papers, conference proceedings) and the names and contact information of three references to: Email address:
About Polymer Research Team
The research conducted at the team mainly deals with polymers, polymer composites, nanocomposites, and membranes. It covers manufacturing, service performance, membrane tests and related investigations. The highly qualified personnel (e.g., students) is trained by carrying out both fundamental research as well as industrially relevant research with numerous industrial partners.
Our research makes use of fundamental and experimental approaches, and often combines all three to industrial products. The Zhao’s polymer research group host many equipment and facilities related to design, processing, manufacturing and characterization of nano, micro, and macro-systems including, but not limited to, several customized and commercial membranes, pilot tests and scale-up possibilities and investigations. The polymer research group currently consists of approximately 20 members (professors, research associates, postdoctoral fellows, PhD and master’s students, and technicians, as well as many international interns).
Our research group promotes equity, diversity and inclusion within a lively and open-minded environment. This is evidenced by the strong international character of the team with HQP from more than 15 different origins having differences in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, socio-economic status, age, ability, religious or political beliefs, or other ideologies.
About the city of Sherbrooke
Université de Sherbrooke is located in a beautiful city of Sherbrooke, QC, Canada. Sherbrooke is a city in southern Quebec, Canada. It is at the confluence of the Saint-François and Magog rivers in the heart of the Estrie administrative region. Sherbrooke is the primary economic, political, cultural and institutional centre of Estrie, and was known as the Queen of the Eastern Townships at the beginning of the 20th century.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $14.25-$25.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Sherbrooke, QC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Doctoral Degree (preferred)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.