IWK Health Centre
Company : IWK Health
Requisition ID: 152669
Type of Employment: Casual Relief x 1 position(s)
Start Date: April 2023
Union Status: Research, Management/Non Union Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $27.019 – $33.774/hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled (Applications are accepted until 23:59 Atlantic Time)
Department/Program: Family Health, Research Services
IWK Health is a respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million children, youth, adults and families each year across the Atlantic region. We have a team of approximately 4000 employees, physicians, volunteers and learners at sites across Nova Scotia. People build careers with IWK Health with our focus on training and mentorship opportunities. We recognize each other’s talent and celebrate our successes. We collaborate in modern facilities or virtually from home, align our work to our values, and enjoy access to enhanced benefits and wellness programs. We are proud to support our patients, families and communities and are grateful for the generous donor support we receive.
Promoting an anti-racist environment, and calling out discrimination as we work and provide care, is important to us. We are located in Mi’kma’ki, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi’kmaq people. Working in Mi’kma’ki and providing care to those across Atlantic Canada is a shared privilege with the original inhabitants who have lived here for many thousands of years prior to colonization. There are 13 First Nation communities across Nova Scotia, and more than 50 historic African Nova Scotian communities who also have a long, deep, and complex history dating back over 400 years. We have the highest percentage of people with disabilities in the country. Nova Scotia has the highest proportions of transgender and non-binary people than any other province or territory in the country. We are active in our work to eliminate discrimination, but have more work to do to build that trust, acknowledge our biases and reduce the barriers our diverse communities face. We want IWK Health to be a safe and supportive space of equity and belonging in the care we provide and the employment we offer. We welcome all interested persons who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply to support our goal for our workforce to be representative of the patients, families, and communities that we care for at all job levels.
Dr. Patrick McGrath of the Centre for Research in Family Health (CRFH; Halifax, Canada) is seeking applicants for a full-time position as a Postdoctoral Fellow. The successful applicant will be involved in multiple aspects of research development for mental health projects in the Ukraine. The successful candidate will be involved in planning and monitoring research projects, writing applications for research funding, planning and recruiting participants for randomized controlled trials, data analysis, and writing scientific manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication. They may also supervise research assistants and undergraduate students to ensure project goals are met in a timely and efficient manner. This fellowship will be conducted under the supervision of Dr. McGrath.
Hours of Work
Monday – Friday, 7.5 hours daily
- PhD from a recognized University
- Applications are invited from individuals having significant, related, practical experience in behavioral sciences and/or developing interventions aimed to change health behaviors and have recently (i.e., within the past 2 years) earned a doctoral degree in a relevant discipline.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in scientific communication through authorship on peer-reviewed publications in related areas and have grant writing experience.
- Understanding of Ukrainian culture and fluency in Ukrainian language strongly preferred.
- Must possess strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Must be able to handle complex projects with multiple and conflicting priorities and demands.
- Possesses decision making skills and ability to keep timelines.
- Must have fluency in spoken and written English.
- Applicants should be familiar with evidence synthesis methods and randomized controlled trials.
- Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search)
- All postdoctoral fellows are on a term engagement. Benefits and conditions of employment will be in keeping with IWK Health Centre regulations.
Thank you for your interest in IWK Health.
Please note that we only contact applicants selected for interview/testing. If we invite you to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) you have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
This is a Management/Non Union bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials. Additionally, as per Nova Scotia’s COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre’s obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis
If you are an employee of IWK Health, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.