University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Salaried – Research Assistant /Technician 1
PDC Non Union Technician 1 (NUT)
PDC Medical Animal Facility jobsincanada.one Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute jobsincanada.one Faculty of Medicine
$3,579.58 – $3,929.83 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
April 26, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
At UBC, we believe that attracting and sustaining a diverse workforce is key to the successful pursuit of excellence in research, innovation, and learning for all faculty, staff and students. Our commitment to employment equity helps achieve inclusion and fairness, brings rich diversity to UBC as a workplace, and creates the necessary conditions for a rewarding career.
This position is located within a health-care facility, the successful candidate will be required to provide verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by a provincial health mandate.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person
The incumbent will be responsible for husbandry of various species, changing cages, observing and monitoring animal health, facility maintenance/cleanliness, sanitizing of caging and equipment, cage preparation, autoclaving cages. Follows standard operating procedures as outlined by Canadian Council On Animal Care, Animal Care Committee, and the Preclinical Discovery Centre/ Animal Resource Unit.
The position will work in conjunction with other non union technicians, and report to the Assistant Manager who reports to the Operations Manager.
– Changing cages for rodent species (rats & mice).
– Monitoring the health of these species by completing regularly health checks.
– Processing of cages, bottles, racks and other equipment ie: dumping dirty cages, putting cages and equipment through the cage washer, filling clean cages, preparing cages for sterilization.
– General upkeep (sweeping and mopping) of facility, sanitizing, disinfection, disease control, following procedures outlined by CCAC, UBC ACC, and UBC regulations.
– Record keeping and documentation of room conditions, pest management, food and bedding receiving and general facility maintenance, etc. Must be able to follow standard operating procedures specific to the laboratory. Computer skills required: Word, Excel and Mosaic Vivarium (training provided for Mosaic).
– Facility cleanliness is of utmost importance to maintain the degree of health of the animals necessary.
– Autoclaves, cage washers, floor machines, etc. are used.
– Afterhours, weekend and STAT holiday work may be required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Procedures for the proper sanitization of the facility, caging and equipment must be followed to ensure the health status of the animals are maintained.
The position will work under little supervision in direct consultation with the Operations or Assistant Manager.
High school graduation and a minimum one year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
RLAT Certification Preferred (Registered Laboratory Animal Technician)
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.