Minerals Technologies Inc.
Under the supervision of the Plant Manager or Production Supervisor, manufactures precipitated calcium carbonate and other related products for use by the host paper mill, or others, by performing the following functions: 1) all duties in regard to the SMI Quality System pertinent to the position, 2) operates the process computer-controlled slaking, carbonating, screening, and related equipment, 3) verifies and maintains product quality by performing various lab tests, 4) oversees maintenance and outside contractor activities in respect to production requirement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Plant Manager performs the following functions:
Within the guidelines of the Quality Management System:
- Maintains routine contact with host mill personnel regarding current quantity and quality needs.
- Maintains proper records and documentation of all process and quality parameters/tests.
- Manages, tests and identifies incoming crude materials and lab materials for adherence to specification, either by actual testing or by review of the material’s Certificate of Analysis.
- Manufactures all in-process materials and products by computer control in compliance with Work Instructions.
- Conducts all in-process and final product testing in accordance with established, approved procedures.
- Assures that product meets quality standards by controlling processes, utilizing statistical process control (SPC) techniques.
- Conducts routine calibrations of laboratory instruments and conducts routine calibrations/standardizations of process instrumentation in accordance with established, approved procedures and schedule.
- Controls and corrects non-conforming in-process material and final products in accordance with written procedure.
- Release for further processing and final products for shipment to the customer in accordance with written procedure.
- Understands and uses statistical techniques where appropriate
- If contacted by the customer, initiates the documentation of a customer concern in accordance to the customer Concern Procedure.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- Works in a safe manner, adhering to SMI Safety Policies and local regulatory requirements.
- Perform Total Productive Maintenance activities as required. Assures that equipment is operating correctly. Follows preventive maintenance activities according to schedule and corporate standards.
- Oversees outside contract labor as required.
- Participates in continuous training pertinent to the position
Actively participates in the implementation of sustainable improvement processes, such as 5S, Kaizen, Daily Management Control, Standard Work and Problem Solving.
The requirements listed in the sections that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions (primary duties) of the job.
- High school diploma or its equivalent and
- five years’ experience in industrial, laboratory, agricultural, or business environment.
- If possessing college education, fewer years’ experience may be required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the English language and industrial equipment/systems are required. Candidate must have the ability to function effectively in a self-directed team environment and show this ability through previous training and/or our own testing protocols.
- Lean (Operational Excellence) background a definite plus.
- Knowledge of computers and ability to learn, use and troubleshoot computer programs utilized at SMI is required. (Excel, Word, Adobe, Lotus Notes, Oracle, Kronos, PlantWeb, etc.)
- While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically required to have the ability to exert physical strength throughout the work shift, coordinate movements, use repetitive motions, regularly stand, walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, crouch, kneel, lift, twist, push and pull throughout a work shift; work in confined spaces, have manual dexterity, lift materials weighing up to and including 50 pounds, select and use appropriate equipment/tools to accomplish job duties, read, write, listen, speak and understand English, follow all instructions and other oral/written information, visually inspect equipment/work area, complete paperwork and other documentation accurately, identify, analyze, troubleshoot and solve equipment/work area issues using judgement and mechanical knowledge and skills, react quickly as needed, use judgement to determine when additional resources are needed to address issues, communicate effectively with others, record information from the work shift, be aware of oneself in relation to surrounding equipment, work independently and as a team with others, and use, monitor and adjust equipment and related processes. Ability to instruct/transfer job information/knowledge to others is preferred.
- Being under limited supervision, the employee is expected to be self-directed, highly motivated, take initiative and be persistent when appropriate to accomplish necessary duties and complete required work without prompting from the supervisor. Additionally, the employee is expected to be adaptable/flexible to changing work assignments, perform multiple tasks at once, have a high level of integrity, dependability and self-control to maintain composure, learn and memorize procedures, prioritize work, manage time effectively and efficiently, meet established deadlines, display a cooperative demeanor, outstanding interpersonal skills, read, understand and follow all company, job specific and safety policies/procedures, and attend/use all required training.
- Availability for some travel as a technical resource (interplant, training) is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically exposed to dust, loud noise, high places, confined spaces, very low and/or bright light, and outside weather conditions.
- Primarily works alone but may work as part of a team working in close proximity to others and works in close proximity with equipment.
- Work hours for the Operator Technician will be 6:30 am to 3 pm, Mon-Fri, with a half hour unpaid lunch.
- We reserve the right to change this schedule to meet our needs Must have ability to work the shift/number of hours in which duties need to be accomplished, which may include overtime, and occasional weekends and holidays.
- The plant is a continuous operation requiring some on call and call-in availability.
Safety Equipment: Safety equipment typically required while performing the duties of this job include a personal lockout/tagout lock, ANSI approved hardhat and safety glasses with side shields, safety shoes/boots with steel toe protection. Additional safety equipment is available for use if a situation arises where it becomes required depending on the assignment or if it is simply desired by the employee.
Safety Training Required: A new employee hired to perform the duties of this position is to be provided New Employee Training by a qualified individual, which may consist of classroom type training and on-the-job training. In addition, training will occur via online modules. It may include, but is not limited to, the following: hazard communication, hearing conservation, respiratory protection, electrical safety, lock out/tag out, personal protective equipment, bloodborne pathogens, fire fighting/extinguishers, machine safety, reporting of hazardous conditions, accidents, injuries, near-miss and property damage incidents, evacuation/emergency procedures, first aid, back injury prevention, and job/work area procedures.
Upon transferring to perform the duties of this position for the first time an employee is to be provided New Task Training by a qualified individual until the employee adequately understands the contents of the training, which include job/work area procedures and related topics. Additionally, an employee must be provided further training if a job duty/task has changes that will affect the health and safety aspects of that employee’s position.
Additional refresher safety training will be required as management deems appropriate or as dictated by OSHA regulations.
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: From $42.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Windsor, QC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Industrial: 5 years (preferred)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.