Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers!
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Pension and working conditions that provide for a balanced approach to work, family life and community.
- Northern allowance and other northern benefits, all in accordance with corporate policies.
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba’s best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking an Operating/Mechanical Technician to join our Converter Stations and Generating Stations Departments in Gillam, Manitoba. You will perform all necessary operating and mechanical maintenance and construction work associated within the Northern Generation Department.
The opportunity to work at Converter & Generating Stations in Gillam has excellent benefits and allows you to work with exciting & diverse teams. See below for more details.
- Participate actively in the development of the team and the achievement of the team’s goals.
- Perform all necessary operations of plant generating and auxiliary equipment under normal and emergency conditions.
- Prepare detailed switching and operating procedures.
- Perform or direct all operations to isolate and restore equipment for maintenance.
- Troubleshoot and perform mechanical maintenance on and commissioning of turbines, governors, compressors, cranes, headgates and their hoist equipment, sluicegates, pumps, motors, circuit breakers and other associated equipment, auxiliaries, air conditioning, refrigeration, heat and vent systems and their controls under normal and emergency conditions.
- Operate and maintain water and waste water facilities.
- Perform standby duties as required.
- Provide direction and training to trainees, technicians, station operators, tradespeople, helpers, and other staff assigned to the team.
- Compile plant maintenance records, maintain accurate and neat statistics, and have a demonstrated ability to prepare reports.
- Comply fully with all safety procedures and regulations as well as Corporate, Legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that duties performed comply with Business Unit Environmental Management Systems.
- Possess a Red Seal Industrial Mechanic Certificate and willing to complete Manitoba Hydro’s training program for Mechanical Technicians, plus willing to obtain a Manitoba Hydro Station Operator Certificate.
- Thoroughly conversant with safe working practices including the use of protective cards, locking devices, and the job planning process etc.
- Possess a sound basic knowledge of the theory and operation of Converter Stations and/or Hydraulic Generating Stations.
- Physically capable of performing all the duties of the position and work under adverse weather conditions, temperatures and under emergency conditions.
- Capable of working harmoniously with others and accept functional guidance from various sources as noted in Responsibilities.
- Ability to provide direction and effective training to junior personnel, and to plan, organize and schedule work activities.
- Familiar with, and adhere to, Federal and Provincial Regulations and practices related to WHMIS and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- Required to have mechanical aptitude to satisfy all requirements of the position.
- Possess or able to attain certification as a water and waste water facility operator.
- Possess or be prepared to purchase an approved set of hand tools pertaining to the trade.
- Possess a valid Province of Manitoba Driver’s Licence with appropriate class.
There are multiple Generating and Converting Stations in Gillam which provides great experience and opportunities through project and maintenance work. Along with joining a great community, you may be eligible for:
- Corporate accommodations & transportation to and from site
- Medical & Northern travel trips and travel days (eligible for all family members)
- Northern Allowance
- Northern vacation days, guaranteed overtime (OT) hours, and more!
There are many amenities in Gillam including a hospital, school, daycare, airport, train station, and currently under construction a Co-op food store. There is a state-of-the-art Water Treatment Plant & Recreation Centre plus the opportunity to participate in the best seasonal experiences & various outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, boating & more). There are many employment opportunities for partners & family members.
More information on Northern Benefits can be found at: https://www.hydro.mb.ca/careers/benefits/#north_financial
Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The range for the classification is $39.89-$49.46 Hourly, $76,433.76-$94,776.76 Annually.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careersto learn more about this position and to apply online. The deadline for applications is DECEMBER 7, 2022.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
This document is available in accessible formats upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $39.89-$49.46 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.