University of Waterloo
Department: Transformative Quantum Technologies
Job Status: Temporary, Full – Time
Hiring Range: $62,724 – $78,405
Term: 12 Months
TQT supports an innovative research enterprise through facilities including fabrication, metrology, testing of quantum devices. The primary purpose of Precision Machinist is to function as a machinist engaged in the machining, fabricating and repair of equipment for research purposes.
General Operational Duties
- Daily recording of time spent
- Maintaining order of the machine shop labs in RAC2
- Miscellaneous tasks as assigned
Machinery and Shop Functionality and Safety
- Regular inspection of machinery and shop equipment to ensure precise, correct and safe performance
- Alerting supervisor to any deficiencies
- Organizing repairs/ maintenance as required
Fabrication and Manufacturing
- Using various machinery practices to create, modify or repair items for quantum research activities
- All work is from mechanical drawings
- Ability to exercise judgement in determine the techniques and methods used
- Tools include CNC and other mills, waterjet, lathe, welding station and other
- High school diploma and Certificate of Qualifications in one of the following: General Machinist, Mould Maker, Tool and Die Maker
- Demonstrated experience with a broad spectrum of the metalworking machinery and suite of skills applicable to the machining / fabricating trades
- Established experience programming and operating CNC and waterjet machine tools
- Proven experience in conventional machining
- Excellent client service and communication skills, applicable to diverse groups including students, staff and faculty members
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Required: Machining; conventional mill and lathe, as well as CNC mill and waterjet
- Considered an asset: soldering, welding, familiarity with machining a range of materials; copper, titanium, ceramic, etc.
The University of Waterloo is committed to implementing the Calls to Action framed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.
The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuk (Inuit), Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or 519-888-4567, ext. 45935.
The University of Waterloo regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. As such, we encourage applications from women, Indigenous Persons (First Nations, Metis and Inuit), persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities/expressions, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. At Waterloo, you will have the opportunity to work across disciplines and collaborate with an international community of scholars and a diverse student body, situated in a rapidly growing community that has been termed a “hub of innovation.” All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.