Charter, a highly respected and value driven VAR, delivers IT solutions across many technology verticals including routing and switching, data center, cloud, wireless, security and unified communications and collaboration. Partnering with several industry leading vendors, Charter solutions are diverse, flexible and deliver business outcomes. The Network Engineer will participate in a wide variety of activities, providing the candidate with opportunity for a high growth career and personal enrichment.
The role is diverse in its exposure to technology and vendors. While it is not mandatory that candidates have skills in all of the areas listed below, careful consideration will be given to those that possess previous experience in several areas and desire to broaden their exposure and experience to align with the tactical and strategic directions within Charter.
Charter partners with a number of top technology vendors, including Cisco Systems, Juniper, Extreme, NetApp, Microsoft/Azure and others. We require engineers with planning, design and hands on experience in the following areas and vendors.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Work cooperatively within team environments using Agile techniques (Kanban) to deliver multiple concurrent projects to our customer base. Or working to address Customer service requests, trouble tickets etc.
- Attend team huddles and be an active participant team planning activities.
- Bring subject matter expertise and leadership to the team, mentoring junior members to enhance productivity and quality.
- Use provided workflow tools to reflect the current status of tasks, effort/labour etc.
- Execute on defined tasks and complete work within the timelines and effort estimates stated. Proactively communicate problems, blocks and/or any significant deviation from what is expected to the team and project manager in a clear, concise manner.
- Lead team project retrospective activities and help identify areas of success, improvement and give constructive feedback to promote a positive, continuous improvement environment.
- Identify areas to create, improve and maintain Charter intellectual property in the form of configuration templates, testing guides and other tools that assist in allowing Charter to be efficient and deliver with high quality. Lead initiatives in this area, and collaborate with others.
- Attend technical training sessions on a regular basis. Assist in the development of training material and deliver sessions to others, both in engineering and sales.
- Work collaboratively within the broader engineering team (pre-sales, architecture, support) to bring your skills to bear where and when they are required.
- Be a capable and decisive leader in the delivery of quality projects, working with the project manager and customer stakeholders to ensure key success criteria are met.
- Attend and co-lead any/all necessary project meetings, providing accurate updates and status to the project team and customer as required.
- Successfully execute tasks in a diligent and efficient manner, by fully understanding the scope of the activity, communicating proactively any need for assistance or preparation.
- Plan, gather critical customer environment information, design and document solutions in a professional and coherent manner.
- Configure customer equipment, both at Charter labs or at customer site, using available templates and remote connectivity methods.
- Quality check your work, engaging the team to assist in QA activities. Provide QA to others within the team when asked.
- Engage in off-site and on-site integration/cutover/migration activities (after hours when necessary), representing Charter in a professional manner and communicating effectively with the customer and to the team during critical periods of the migration.
- Provide Day-1 support (on-site or off-site) post cutover/migration to ensure a smooth transition of the system(s) into production. Be an advocate for the customer, taking feedback to the team as well as to other internal stakeholders (sales, management), highlighting any concerns or issues raised.
- Work with the support team to transition successful migrations into project warranty period, providing context, documentation and support where required.
- Accurately and in a timely fashion, record your effort and associated notes against the defined task to allow for retrospective activities at the conclusion of projects.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3+ year’s previous hands-on technical experience with one or more technologies and vendors listed in the Skills and Capabilities section (previous).
- 2+ years providing technical leadership in key initiatives, capable of correctly assessing complexity and risks. Able to provide and document technical execution plans, migration strategies, acceptance test plans and roll-back/contingency strategies.
- Demonstrated competence in the assembly, racking and configuration of networking hardware, specifically switches, routers, firewalls, servers, storage arrays, wireless access points.
- Experience in providing training to project stakeholders including IT operations/administration and end users.
- Some additional consideration and preference will be given to candidates that have skills in following areas:
- Cisco Unified Communications and Collaboration solutions (Unified Communications Manager, Gateways, IP Phones, Voicemail servers)
- Server and System Administration including Microsoft Active Directory, O365, Azure storage.
- Cloud migration planning and execution.
- Scripting and Automation using appliable languages to enhance delivery efficiency and accuracy (PowerShell, Ansible, Python)
- Project Coordination or Project Management
- One or more professional certifications such as Cisco CCNP, Juniper JNCIS or other similar level in other vendors.
- Demonstrated experience in working within teams to deliver projects using Agile methods is considered an asset but not mandatory.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and able to read and write in English in a professional manner.
- Strong ability to create professional technical documentation, both written and diagrammatical using tools such as Word, Power Point and Visio.
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven team player with ability to deliver outstanding product/service and build relationships with clients.
- Self-motivated; demonstrated ability to take initiative, effectively prioritize tasks and accomplish goals with minimal supervision.
- Authorized to work in Canada.
- Overtime as required
- On-call (May be required)
- At Customer site/location work may be required
- Minimal Travel – Less than 10%
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply!
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.