Full job description
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Hours of operations: 7am-3:30pm
As a member of the Enterprise Communications team within Global Communications and Social Impact, the Manager, Media Relations and Issues Management , will play a leading role in protecting and enhancing Scotiabank’s reputation. Key responsibilities include supporting teams across the bank with the management of various media issues; managing inbound media inquiries; developing and executing proactive media opportunities, conducting media monitoring and analysis; and planning, developing, and delivering effective communication strategies to support Scotiabank’s enterprise-led initiatives and programs.
- This role reports to the Senior Manager, Media Relations and Issues Management
- Partner with customer-facing teams and functions across the bank to provide expert advice, analysis and strategies to manage through reputational issues
- Act as a trusted advisor and strategic partner on media relations to other communications teams across the bank
- Work with communication colleagues across functions to develop and execute proactive media opportunities to elevate Scotiabank’s reputation
- Brief and media train company spokespeople and partner spokespeople ahead of media opportunities
- Develop strong media relationships and engage with both Canadian and international media
- Act as a corporate spokesperson
- Prepare, update, and distribute briefing notes on media issues and opportunities
- Produce daily media summary as well as other media reporting as needed
- Assist with news and social media monitoring to provide decision-makers with timely updates and analysis, and to proactively identify and manage breaking issues
- Provide communications counsel to customer concerns team when needed
- Support broader enterprise communications initiatives, including policies, playbooks, financial reporting, investor days, annual general meetings, and awards
- Assist in the development and execution of internal and external communication strategies and tactics, including positioning and key message development, stakeholder analysis, and coordination with other communications partners to advance strategic priorities and drive stakeholder engagement
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated media relations and issues management experience
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian media landscape
- Superior written and oral presentation skills
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment, with an ability to remain calm under pressure
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and work independently
- A high degree of comfort briefing, supporting, and engaging with C-suite executives
- Proven ability to build and maintain meaningful relationships with colleagues across a range of functions
- An ability to solve problems and work in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to take on tasks outside of core responsibilities
- A commitment to curiosity, and professional and personal growth
- Minimum 5-7 years communications, media relations and issues management experience, preferably gained in an agency, newsroom, government, or large multinational environment
- Post-secondary degree in journalism, public relations or equivalent experience
- Ability to work non-standard hours, including evenings and weekends
- Financial services sector experience is an asset
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish is an asset
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: “for every future”, we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.