ASSIST Community Services Centre
Position Title: Intake/Immigrant Services Worker
Hours of Work: Full-time (32 hours per week)
Work Location: 9649-405A Avenue, Edmonton
Salary: Based on Qualification & Experience
Closing Date: March 22, 2023
About ASSIST: Since 1977, ASSIST Community Services Centre has provided services and support to immigrants in Edmonton as they integrate into Canadian society. We are a community-based non-profit and charitable organization that strongly value a diverse and multilingual workforce. We are committed to removing barriers to employment and welcome all applicants to a collaborative and open-minded workplace.
Position Summary: Within the broad guidelines of Settlement Program (SP) funded by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the Intake/Immigrant Services Worker will provide professional reception services to clients seeking services from ASSIST, conduct needs assessment with clients, and provide information, orientation and referral. This position reports to the Program Manager.
- Conduct intakes with clients to identify the needs.
- Book appointment and Register clients for one-to-one sessions with settlement counselors.
- Work directly with new immigrants and provide assistance to clients seeking settlement related services over the phone and in person.
- Administrative office tasks.
- Offer information and orientation to newcomers and make appropriate referrals.
- Liaise with government and community services to ensure the accuracy of information provided to clients.
- Provide interpretation services and translation referrals to address clients’ needs.
- Assist clients by providing commissioner for oaths services to meet their settlement needs.
- Follow-up on clients’ settlement/integration outcomes.
- Provide training and support to volunteers and practicum students helping out in the front counter.
- Document and maintain client records/files as needed.
- Attend meetings and trainings for staff development.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Program Manager.
- Degree/diploma in administrative assistant, social sciences, social work or other human services field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from an accredited institution.
- 2-4 years office work experience with strong telephone manner and leadership skills.
- Fluent in English is required, other language skills will be an asset
- AAISA accreditation is an asset.
- Ability to assess client’s needs, identify appropriate services and/or referrals.
- Good oral and written English skills. Have a working proficiency of both Mandarin and Cantonese will be considered an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with strong keyboarding skills.
- Effective communication skills with ability to work in diverse.
- Strong interpersonal skills and great team player.
- Proficient in presentation, coordinating, and problem-solving skills.
- Requires a police security check and child welfare check.
- Current First Aid Certification is considered an asset.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00-$24.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
- English not required
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.