University of British Columbia
CUPE 2950 Salaried – Front Counter 3 (Gr4)
Human Resources Assistant
Administrative Staff jobsincanada.one Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering jobsincanada.one Faculty of Applied Science
$3,696.00 – $3,789.00 CAD Monthly
December 5, 2022
Dec 31, 2023
This HR Assistant is a member of the department’s administration services team. This position reports to the Administration and Faculty Affairs Coordinator, but day-to-day work will also be assigned and supervised by the HR Coordinator and Senior HR Assistant. Within the department, this individual works closely with faculty, staff and students to support timely and accurate data entry into Workday, UBC’s online finance and HR system.
- Processes appointments and reappointments, transfers and severances, and changes to existing positions (e.g., account changes, pay rate changes, data changes).
- Assists with hourly payroll processes (e.g., communicates with supervisors of hourly staff, enters hours into Workday, ensures accurate handling of overtime and statutory holiday pay).
- Submits appropriate forms to invite international visitors to our department.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of applicable HR regulations, collective agreements, university policies and procedures.
- Monitors Workday to ensure accuracy of data entry; independently troubleshoots errors; elevates unusual issues to the appropriate staff member.
- Provides routine HR and finance information to faculty, staff and students (e.g., regarding submission instructions, status of paperwork received, processing times, relevant Workday processes).
- Runs HR reports on a monthly (or as-needed) basis, identifies action items and independently initiates follow up as needed.
- Maintains electronic HR records.
- Regularly reviews HR-related pages on the departmental website; informs the communications and marketing team in a timely manner if updates are needed.
- Assists the HR team with scheduling interviews and preparing for faculty recruiting events.
- Serves as a front-line receptionist for the ECE administrative services office; responds to general inquiries over phone, e-mail and in person; politely greets and assists visitors.
- Distributes campus mail to faculty and staff.
- Processes room booking and building access requests.
- Arranges meetings and catering; transcribes and distributes meeting minutes.
- Uses a web-based ticket tracking system to manage work requests.
- Provides back-up support to other team members, as needed/upon request by a manager.
- Performs other tasks consistent with classification as needed.
The HR Assistant works under the general supervision of the Senior HR Assistant and the HR Coordinator, with overall reporting to the Administration and Faculty Affairs Coordinator. Although this position is part of a larger team, the incumbent must be able to prioritize their work and adhere to deadlines with minimal supervision.
High school graduation, plus one year of related post-secondary education, plus three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.