University of British Columbia
CUPE 2950 Salaried – HR Admin Clerk 4 (Gr7)
Administrative Management jobsincanada.one Department of Medicine
$4,009.00 – $4,214.00 CAD Monthly
March 22, 2023
This position is responsible for coordinating all human resources clerical tasks with regards to new hires, reappointments, promotions, and transfer/severance paperwork, including data entry into WorkDay for Faculty, Staff, Students, Visiting Faculty, Research Associates, Post Doctoral Fellows and Postgraduate (Clinical) Trainees/Fellows. May participate in interviews, testing, and reference checks for new staff hires. Workload will be divided by portfolio.
This position reports to the Human Resources Manager and works with the Faculty Hires and Promotions Coordinator in the Department of Medicine, and will report to the Faculty Hires and Promotions Coordinator in the absence of the Human Resources Manager. This position communicates regularly with Division Administrators, Department of Medicine (DOM) staff and faculty, Department of Medicine (DOM) supervisors, Faculty of Medicine (FOM) staff, UBC Faculty Relations, Human Resources, and Payroll.
Database/Reports and Directories (WorkDay):
- Works with supervisors and UBC Human Resources to ensure staff positions are correctly classified and advertised in WorkDay.
- Coordinates staff applicants and new staff appointments processes using WorkDay.
- Coordinates student appointments, re-appointments, terminations using WorkDay.
- Responsible for maintaining data input into WorkDay, including demographics, salary information, and job description library. Works to maintain data integrity.
- Will act as the contact person for any required changes or information updates within the Teaching Tracking Payment System (TTPS) and responsible for ensuring the coordination of payments falls within the policies and procedures as outlined by the Office of Clinical Faculty Affairs.
- Coordinates entries for the UBC online directory.
- Maintains email distribution lists for faculty and staff. Creates email groups as required.
- Runs and formats database reports as required.
Faculty and Staff Appointments, Reappointments and Promotions:
- Coordinates and processes all appointment notice documentation for Faculty, Staff and Students, including appointment and reappointment forms (extensions, salary changes, funding changes, submitting LMIA exemption applications to IRCC, etc.) and processing terminations.
- Requests reviews of the status of research grant funding on new appointments and reappointments paid through research grants from DOM Finance team. Advises Principal Investigators (PIs) and supervisors and makes necessary changes to funding status/salary/extension.
- Maintains a bring-forward system for reappointments (every 1-3 months), promotions, working notices, probation and merit increases.
- Submits staff and student hourly time-tracking when needed.
- Coordinates, gathers, and summarizes appropriate documentation for faculty who are reviewed by the Academic Appointment, Reappointment, Promotion, Tenure (AARPT) Committee. Follows up on changes or information requested by the Committee and ensures appointments and promotions are approved and processed in a timely manner.
- Prepares and sends out template congratulations letters to new Clinical Faculty members and faculty with Adjunct or Emeritus appointments.
- Prepares and sends out offer letters and welcome packages to new Clinical Faculty.
- Follows up on Clinical Faculty, unpaid Honorary, Emeritus, Adjunct and Associate Member appointments sent to the Dean s Office. Updates spreadsheets and databases when appointments fully approved.
- Compiles and co-ordinates all supporting documentation for appointment, re-appointment, promotion and tenure reviews for Clinical Faculty, Honorary, Adjunct, Associate Members, and Emeritus appointments. This includes communicating information about clinical promotions and collecting expressions of interest.
- Maintains appropriate tracking lists and systems to monitor the status of the various faculty appointments, both individually and by rank.
- Ensures all appointment documentation on Postdoctoral Fellows, Research Associates, Postgraduate (Clinical) Trainee/Fellows and Visiting Scientists is complete and follows up on discrepancies. Checks financial information with the Division and with the DOM Finance team before processing new appointments or reappointments.
- Answers enquiries regarding the status of appointment notices; communicates with Payroll, Human Resources, Med IT, Dean s Office, and President s Office to investigate and solve payroll and appointment enquiries.
- Coordinates and advises Principal Investigators and Supervisors on the advertising process for staff positions on the UBC HR Staff Careers website via WorkDay.
Staff Orientation – DOM Administration Office:
- Prepares orientation packages for new staff within the DOM Administrative Office.
- Ensures orientation information is kept up-to-date.
- Retrieves messages and prepares and sends out by email away notices for DOM staff in the Administration Office.
- Responsible for file management of faculty and staff personnel files; including creating, organizing filing, archiving, and disposal.
- Responsible for archiving leave management and recruitment files per UBC guidelines.
- Answers inquiries and provides advice within limited interpretation of the Collective Agreements, such as leave accrual and entitlement. Refers to the Human Resources Manager as appropriate.
- Answers or redirects payroll inquiries.
- Provides advice on staff recruitment policies.
- Participates in human resources projects and special events, including strategic planning discussions and training sessions.
- Participates in interviewing, testing and reference checks if support is needed.
- In conjunction with the Faculty Hires and Promotions Coordinator, coordinates, updates, and submits proofs of faculty and staff personnel information for the UBC Student Calendar.
- Creating and updating HR electronic forms, templates, and information on the Department s shared drives.
- Compiles information on faculty or staff for Divisions as required.
- Updates job manual and job description annually.
- Providing administrative support to the Department of Medicine Mentoring Committee.
- Performs other related tasks.
Normal working conditions located at Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Centre.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Incorrect data entry into the database would produce errors, which could result in jeopardizing the integrity of the system, and have a serious impact on the hiring of new employees and the reappointments, which could result in budget problems. Discrepancies with incorrect data entry could effect promotions, salary changes, appointment errors for faculty and staff not being paid. This would prove to be costly in some cases and extremely embarrassing for the Department and University. Duties require a high level of confidentiality.
Exercises judgment and initiative in handling matters of a non-routine nature requiring the interpretation of University and Departmental guidelines, procedures and policies. May develop new methods and procedures to handle workload issues. Participates in making decision regarding goals and policies of work unit.
This position reports directly to the Human Resources Manager and in their absence to the Faculty Hires and Promotions Coordinator.
This position has no direct supervisory role.
High School graduation and two year post-secondary diploma.Training in office procedures.4 years relevant experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a medical environment preferred. Ability to effectively use word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database applications at an intermediate level.Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and changing priorities.Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail.Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, exercise initiative, and stay organized.Ability to perform word processing at 55 words per minute.Ability to operate job-related equipment.Ability to review, analyze, and synthesize complex information into summaries and reports.Ability to understand and apply policies, procedures, and instructions.Ability to analyze problems, identify key information and issues, and effectively resolve.Ability to create and accurately maintain record and filing systems.Ability to interpret and prepare various statistical reports.Ability to exercise sound judgment.Ability to make thoughtful, informed, and thorough decisions.Ability to exercise tact and discretion when dealing with sensitive and/or confidential matters.Ability to effectively resolve client complaints in a calm, non-confrontational manner, and by exercising sound judgment.Ability to assist clients in identifying appropriate courses of action.Ability to provide quality service to customers in a courteous, patient manner.Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.