Heddle Marine Service Inc
ABOUT HEDDLE SHIPYARDS:
Heddle Shipyards is the largest Canadian ship repair and construction company on the Great Lakes. The company is embarking on an unprecedented period of growth driven by the opportunities created by Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy. At the same time, the company is executing the Ontario Shipyard Modernization Project (OSMP) which is a multi-million-dollar initiative that is revolutionizing shipyard operations in Ontario and ultimately Canada.
Heddle Shipyards offers lots of opportunities for growth and advancement within the company.
The General Labourer is responsible for supporting the various skilled trades with their work duties and assisting in general duties required in the yard.
The individual will perform duties to ensure health and safety standards are being met, such as acting as a confined space attendant and acting as fire watch. They will ensure proper housekeeping for safety purposes, such as keeping workstations clean, and removing slip hazards (e.g. snow removal, sanding the ground).
This successful applicant will work closely with various skilled tradespeople, providing learning and growth opportunities.
- Support a team of welder/fitters by setting up equipment and assisting in the preparation and fitting of materials
- Support a team of painter/sandblasters by setting up equipment
- Support the mechanical team by assisting in the installation, assembly, and disassembly of various mechanical components
- Provide tradespeople with general housekeeping and ensuring an ongoing supply of consumables
- Perform unskilled tasks on board ship such as cleaning tanks, bilges, providing safety/fire watch, general housekeeping and supporting the activities of the skilled trades
- Acting as a Confined Space Attendant, perform air quality tests, monitor entrances and exits of confined spaces, and communicate with various team members as well as the Confined Space Rescue Team
- Act as a standing Fire Watch for any hot work being performed
- Perform general yard, shop or equipment maintenance as directed by a Lead Hand
- Assist in the docking and undocking of vessels as they enter/leave dry-docks
- Use of respirators, SCBA gear, and fall arrest harnesses, etc.
- Other duties as required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Be of legal age to work in Ontario
- Have the physical ability to perform prolonged heavy manual labour
- Basic construction experience an asset
- Experience with hand powered tools an asset
- Ability to work at heights using scaffolding, man lifts, ladders etc.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions year-round (cold, heat, wind, rain, snow, etc.)
- Ability to lift a up to 80lbs. Heavier objects may be lifted in conjunction with other employees or equipment
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.