Full-Time Professor – Social Sciences
Centre of Access, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Lifelong Learning
College Drive & Commerce Court Campuses – North Bay, ON
DEADLINE: Monday, November 28, 2022 – 12:00 P.M.
Under the direction of the Director, Academic Operations & Business Development, Centre of Access, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Lifelong Learning, the Professor is responsible for facilitating and guiding learning and providing an effective learning environment for all students. The professional responsibilities include:
Teaching assigned courses, including:
- teaching regularly scheduled classes in the Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer semesters through a combination of classroom delivery on location, online, and/or through a virtual classroom
- ensuring student awareness of course learning outcomes and evaluation techniques
- providing tutoring and academic advising for students both in and out of class
- providing a learning environment that makes effective use of available resources including educational technologies and the College approved Learning Management System (Desire to Learn)
- evaluating student progress/achievement and assuming responsibility for the overall assessment of the student’s work within assigned courses
- the development and creation of a learning environment that is conducive to success for all students
Designing new and ongoing maintenance of courses, including:
- defining learning outcomes and evaluating and validating these outcomes
- planning appropriate teaching and learning approaches, as well as essential and optional learning resources
- incorporating educational technologies to meet the learning needs of students
- consulting with other faculty members, advisory committees, and a variety of potential employers and students
- reviewing and revising curriculum
- participating in professional development activities during non-teaching periods
Providing academic leadership, including:
- working cooperatively with other professors and industry representatives to ensure course consistency and support continuous program improvement
- participating in the work of curriculum and other consultative committees, and departmental meetings
- liaising with industry representatives and community members
- working to the full achievement of the Competency Profile for professors at the College
- participating in professional development activities, remaining current in the field of study, and maintaining awareness of emerging trends and practices related to teaching and learning in higher education
- following health and safety policies, procedures, and legislation
- modeling the College values – Respect, Integrity, Transparency, Accountability, and Commitment to Excellence
1. Master’s Degree in a Social Sciences discipline; Sociology preferred
2. Doctorate preferred
3. Minimum 5 years of practical experience in the field of social sciences
4. Minimum 2 years of teaching experience or equivalent preferably in the college setting
5. Excellent record of teaching experience along with relevant work/community experience in the professional field or discipline appropriate to the area of instruction. Experience working with international students in a post-secondary setting is an asset.
6. Experience with a Learning Management System (e.g., Desire2Learn, Blackboard, etc.), including the creation of discussion forums, tests, assignments, chat rooms, to edit and modify course content when required.
7. Evidence of having maintained up-to-date knowledge and achievements in the field appropriate to the area of instruction.
8. Experience in developing course content, curriculum, and learning materials is an asset.
9. Knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of in-class and online courses as adopted by the Program, including, but not limited to:
a. Using course management system tools to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students in the course;
b. Providing timely and constructive feedback on student work;
c. Responding to student academic and course administration inquiries promptly and referring students to technical support or student support when appropriate; and,
d. Ensuring academic integrity in the creation and administration of assignments, tests, and exams in class and online environments.
10. Commitment to practical teaching skills for adult learners, including:
a. a commitment to deliver the prescribed curriculum;
b. a demonstrated ability to apply required instructional techniques, and the ability to create a positive learning environment for adults;
c. pedagogy for diverse populations; and,
d. course management.
11. Ability to interact effectively with adult students, particularly in the areas of:
a. academic advising;
b. understanding and respect for human rights and diversity; and,
c. commitment to positive interpersonal skills.
12. Superior organizational skills and ability to work in a high-pressure, multitask, high volume team-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
13. Commitment to professional, collegial life, and awareness of work-integrated learning practices.
14. Demonstrated entry-level skills in Canadore College’s teaching competencies as set out in the Professor Competency Profile at: https://az184419.vo.msecnd.net/canadore-college/Attachments/about-us/policies/PA-12%20Faculty%20Performance%20Review%20ProceduresApps-16.pdf
A cover letter together with a current resume, quoting the above competition number, will be accepted by the Organizational Development and Talent Management Department by e-mail by the closing date. While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Canadore College is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
For more information on Canadore College, please visit our website
Job Type: Full-time
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- English not required
Ability to commute/relocate:
- NORTH BAY, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2022-11-28
Expected start date: 2023-01-03
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.