Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Join us to discuss the Fire Protection Manager role at our upcoming Hiring Campaign in Toronto, ON on 03 & 04 November 2022 at the Marriott Toronto Airport & Conference Centre. Details can be found here: https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CNLLTD&cws=37&rid=5096
The Fire Protection Manager (FPM) is accountable to the Program Authority for the overall delivery of safe, compliant and efficient operation of the Fire Technical Services and Fire Systems departments to meet the needs of CNL Projects/Programs and CNL Commercial Projects. The FPM oversees a team of Fire Protection Engineers, Fire Protection Specialists and the Fire Systems Owner, and is a key interface with mission areas, CNL site management, project leads and other compliance programs. The FPM assigns and outlines work; advises on technical problems; demonstrates leadership skills; reviews work for technical accuracy and adequacy.
- Assess the applicability of laws, statutes, regulations, guidelines, codes and standards for the Fire Protection Program at all CNL sites;
- Assist the Fire Protection Program Authority in the establishment, authorization and effective implementation of regulatory, legal, codes, and standards requirements applicable to the Fire Protection Program at all CNL Canadian sites considering specific work environment and activities;
- Ensure the Fire Protection Program – Technical Service & Fire Systems documents and related procedures are used, where applicable, to define how work will be done within the areas of responsibility;
- Coach, guide and facilitate line managers in implementing the Fire Protection Program within their work practices;
- Confirm new facilities/structures or changes to existing facilities/structures meet licensing and code requirements;
- Ensure Fire Hazard Analyses (FHA), Fire Safe Shutdown Analyses (FSSA), and Code Compliance Reviews are performed, documented and actions addressed;
- Review scopes of work and providing recommendations with respect to FP for incorporation into contracts;
- Assess regulatory and code changes applicable to FP and recommending changes to the FSM delegate for implementation;
- Identify the requirements and providing oversight of planned and unplanned fire protection system impairments;
- Implement oversite activities to ensure FP’s continued improvement, suitability, adequacy and effectiveness;
- Ensure the installation, operation, inspection, testing and maintenance of fire protection systems is complete as per codes, standards, and Quality Assurance (QA) requirements;
- Address corrective actions identified during routine and non-routine inspections/audits;
- Support the Fire Systems team during emergent breakdowns (e.g. pipe breaks, alarm failures) and determine corrective actions to get the systems back in service to avoid excessive facility downtime and ensure continued Fire Program compliance;
- Deliver effective resource management to maintain capabilities in fire protection engineering to ensure safety and requirements are built into designs;
- Ensure customer focus in the delivery of Fire Protection Services;
- Control Fire Systems and Technical Services expenditures within approved budgets and establish and ensure achievement of performance targets;
- Develop technical succession plans for key positions.
- Ensure sufficient trained staff are available to deliver the mandate.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering coupled with 8-10 years of experience in Fire Protection Engineering or specialization.
- Licensed by a provincial engineering association.
- Equivalent education and experience would include knowledge in areas such as fire protection fundamentals, plans examination, sprinklers, building construction and fire protection, CAD, combustion chemistry, electronics, building and fire codes, chemical extinguishing systems, fluid mechanics, hazards of materials, effective technical wiring, fire alarm systems, fire dynamics, hydraulic sprinkler design, sprinkler fitting, fire pumps, fire modelling, hydraulic systems, job estimating and materials management, fire pumps, and fixed suppression.
- Specialization in Fire Protection Engineering or related experience.
- Experience reviewing designs relating to Fire Protection to ensure fire protection safety and compliance to applicable codes & standards. Conversant with National Building Code, National Fire Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). CSA N-293 and CSA N-393 standards and their applications.
- Provision of technical expertise for the improvement of fire protection equipment/systems (best technology) and their suitability for protection from fire.
- Planned and organized meetings and large projects.
- Experience evaluating the adequacy of fire protection system design in accordance with applicable fire protection criteria and recommend changes as applicable.
- Provision of advice on fire protection requirements to be incorporated in the design and construction of buildings and structures.
- Provision of effective communications to staff, contractors and customers.
- Development of fire safety-related contract requests, budgets, and planning for future safety related activities.
- Policy and procedure development.
- Development and review of fire hazard analyses, assessments, and other fire safety documentation for compliance with applicable requirements.
- Experience in managing staff within in a unionized environment.
Abilities and Skills
- Ability to solve technical problems and communicate their solutions in an orderly, practical manner;
- Ability to lead and manage a team through a safety first attitude while navigating multiple projects with conflicting timelines;
- Ability to work under pressure and with conflicting priorities;
- Good oral communication and writing skills, including the ability to provide presentations to groups of people;
- Computer skills including a good working knowledge of MS Office Products Autocad, Hydracad and other industry-specific programs;
- Ability to develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of the existing fire systems on site;
- Coordinate technical and non-technical staff in the delivery of inspection and maintenance services;
- Ability to liaise, work and interact with other team members, the Fire Department, building/systems owners, customers and projects effectively;
- Ability to manage complex and technical projects.
- Ability to be on-call on a rotational basis.
Job/Industry Specific Knowledge
- Strong understanding of the National Building Code, Canadian Electrical Code, National Fire Code and applicable National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Canadian Underwriters Laboratories CAN/ULC, and Canadian Standards Association (CSA) N293 and N393 standards;
- Understanding of Canadian nuclear regulatory requirements;
- Respect for CNL processes (e.g. Engineering Change Control) and safety requirements that are unique to a nuclear environment;
- Ability to maintain continued proficiency on changes to or installations of new fire systems;
- Proficiency in the provision, operation, and maintenance of fire protection, suppression, and alarm systems, as well as other interrelated building systems as required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.