University of British Columbia
Staff – Union
BCGEU Okanagan Support Staff
BCGEU OK Hourly – Secretary I
UBCO jobsincanada.one Administrative Support jobsincanada.one Dean’s Office jobsincanada.one Irving K. Barber Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
$25.35 – $29.06 CAD Hourly
Posting End Date
November 30, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Nov 30, 2024
This is a one year termed position.
At UBC, we believe that attracting and sustaining a diverse workforce is key to the successful pursuit of excellence in research, innovation, and learning for all faculty, staff and students. Our commitment to employment equity helps achieve inclusion and fairness, brings rich diversity to UBC as a workplace, and creates the necessary conditions for a rewarding career.
This position provides confidential administrative assistance to the Faculty of Arts and Social Services. This position is the first and major contact for students, faculty, staff, community members and the general public in a reception capacity in the Arts building.
This position will assist the faculty, staff and students in the four departments located in the Arts building with the following tasks: reception duties, maintain print/copy services, monitor and reconcile office expenditures, order office supplies, act as a primary contact for mail services, facilities and maintenance requests.
This position reports directly to the Manager, Administration & Operations of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) who will assign overall duties and ongoing duties. This position interacts regularly with the Faculty and Staff within FASS and will receive day to day requests.
Provides administrative support to the FASS Faculty and Staff located in the Arts building
- Reception duties, including welcoming and directing incoming traffic
- Monitors and ensures print/copy services are stocked and well maintained; liaises with repair technicians
- Handles, secures and distributes confidential materials and correspondence from students, staff and faculty
- Receives and distributes mail
- Facilitates courier and shipping as needed
- Tracks and distributes parking passes,
- Requests and distributes Salto keys
- Manages booking systems for shared assets
- Books meeting rooms
- Liaises with departments (i.e., Facilities, IT, Mail) to support FASS Faculty and Staff as needed
- Orders and maintains office supplies and consumables
- Reconciles UBC Visa to appropriate department
- Supports accounts payables as needed
- Performs other related duties or special projects as required
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Poor judgement or errors in processing confidential materials and correspondence could have an adverse effect on the work of the Faculty and Staff in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The position has access to information which is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), so must make informed decisions regarding the release of information. Failure to act in a professional, tactful manner would have an adverse effect on the image of the Faculty of Arts and Social Science and the University. Must be able to exercise judgment in dealing with administrative matters where there are no established policies, procedures or guidelines.
Works independently under the direction of the Manager, Administration & Operations in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- High School graduation, plus one year of post-secondary education and training in administrative/secretarial practices.
- Over two years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Advanced proficiency in Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point and internet applications.
- Demonstrates the ability to take initiative, exercise good judgment and resolve problems.
- Ability to compose correspondence and prepare emails in clear concise business language, excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to perform word processing at 60 words per minute.
- Ability to obtain and disseminate information effectively and tactfully with individuals from all levels of the University and the external community.
- Ability to plan and ensure efficient records management procedures and practices are followed.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret University manuals, handbooks, and reports.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize work, multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a hectic environment, exercising confidentiality, sensitivity, tact and discretion.
- University experience preferred, knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.