University of British Columbia
Staff – Union
CUPE 2950 Salaried – Administrative Support 4 (Gr7)
Events Data and Communications Coordinator
Associate Director jobsincanada.one Ceremonies and Events Office
$4,460.00 – $4,686.00 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
September 27, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Oct 2, 2024
This position provides complex event and administrative support to the Ceremonies & Events team on the coordination and execution of a variety of events on behalf of the President and/or the Chancellor. This position has a particular focus on data and list coordination and event communications. The incumbent works flexibly and collaboratively within a high profile and high performing (busy) office. This position requires work outside regular hours and may include occasional evenings and weekends.
Reports to the Associate Director and will receive work assignments from other M&P staff.
Events Data and Administration
– Coordinates and provides general administrative support for events, either with an Events Lead or independently.
– Ability to coordinate work processes and establish work schedules/priorities when supporting event management staff with project-based and event-specific tasks for large scale special events. This may include research and analyze client’s needs and cost estimates, liaise with internal and external departments, coordinating meetings, minute taking and distribution, drafting event and briefing materials.
– Prepares complex event timelines, particularly as it relates to communications required for events.
– Prepares and distributes general event planning information (function sheets, notifications).
– Responsible for creating and distributing invitations (including manipulating and compiling data for guest lists).
– Oversees inputting and maintaining contact & mailing lists as provided by and for the Ceremonies and Events department
– Uses judgment, discretion and tact in responding to oral and written inquiries based on extensive knowledge of the organization and operations of the University in general, and the Ceremonies and Events department in particular.
– Performs other related duties as related to the general business of the Ceremonies and Events department.
– Provides coverage and backfill for other administrative team members at the direction of the Director or Associate Director.
– Develops, proofreads and edits event collateral, such as print and electronic invitations, programs, maps, menus, website content, on-line rsvp site
– Coordinate communication to external organizations, such as government bodies, institutions, industries.
– Oversight and coordination of event photography/videography and curation and archiving of multimedia assets.
-Creating and maintaining editorial calendars for content across different communications channels
-Updates social media channels and website content.
– Oversees notifications and communications related to flag lowerings on campus.
– Researches and provides recommendations, timelines regarding promotional tools for large scale events.
– Coordinates updates to “UBC Events” website – listing various ceremonies, university functions and events being organized by Ceremonies and Events
– Researches, reviews, and provides recommendations regarding electronic support systems, such as list management, online invitations and systems; with a view to providing sustainable and economic alternatives;
– Coordinates projects with Media Relations, Brand and Marketing and external web management company regarding applications/software for online/electronic tools and programs.
– Supports event management staff with event-related tasks; formats invitations, guest lists, nametags as well as labels; tracks responses by various methods and provides updates to relevant Ceremonies and Events staff as well as external clients.
– Tracks RSVPS, distributes RSVP reminders and up-dated guest lists on a timely basis.
– Provides customer service (greeting guests) and on-site event support, set-up, assistance with program activity, post event tear down.
– Collaborate with event managers to take on lead roles with groups of volunteers on day-of events and fill in for volunteer roles as needed
Reports to the Associate Director, Ceremonies and Events, and works collaboratively with other Ceremonies and Events staff, based on specific projects and duties. Deviations from practices, and delicate matters of protocol are referred to the Associate Director or Director. Work is governed generally by broad instructions, objectives and policies, and usually involves frequently changing conditions and priorities. As such, work is reviewed for achievement of objectives, soundness of judgment, attention to detail and quality produced.
No supervisory responsibilities. May explain work procedures to new or inexperienced staff.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Must exercise initiative and judgement based upon a thorough knowledge of office procedures and guidelines, and make decisions based on those guidelines and established precedents. As the Ceremonies and Events department is an external-facing, high-profile office, this position must be professional and have excellent customer service. Failure to exercise appropriate judgement in handing a situation or in manner or tone could result in embarrassment to the Ceremonies and Events department, to the President’s Office and/or to the University.
High School graduation plus a two-year post-secondary diploma, plus four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own. Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Undergraduate degree preferred. Effective interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize work, multi-task, problem-solve and meet deadlines. Ability to demonstrate initiative and acts independently using good judgment in dealing with faculty, staff and guests. Ability to work without constant and ongoing direction. Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to exercise judgment, tact and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters. Ability to provide quality services to customers in a courteous, patient manner. Ability to work both independently and within a team environment. Ability to effectively handle a consistently high volume of work, taking direction from various Event Managers, as well as manage and complete a multitude of tasks at one time, often with urgent deadlines or time sensitive. Experience in event planning and familiarity with protocol preferred. Strong computer experience required: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel required for list management and manipulation of data; excellent knowledge of Outlook, Mail Merge, PowerPoint, WordPress, Adobe AcrobatPro, Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of UBC policies and procedures preferred. Ability to work evenings and weekends.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.