Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Under the supervision of the Director Animal Compliance, facilitate, coordinate, enhance and promote the excellence of research and teaching involving animals by providing administrative support to the animal care program. Administer 3 Facility Animal Care Committees and one UACC Working Group, including electronic approvals using the Darwin software platform, meetings and site visit logistics; preparation and dissemination of agenda, minutes, documents. Ensure timely follow-up on committee decisions and communication with researchers. Provide detailed information to researchers and other stakeholders regarding University and regulatory agency policies, guidelines and procedures. Implement procedures and prepare reports and participate in new projects.
- Administer committees responsible for evaluation of Animal Use Protocols (AUP’s). Perform pre-review of protocols, renewals and amendments prior to submission to committee, using the Darwin software platform for animal protocol review and approval.
- Organize, prepare, verify and disseminate documents for monthly FACC meetings for each campus [2 Downtown Facility Animal Care Committees (FACC) and Macdonald Campus FACC], including agenda, minutes, documents, assignment of reviewers etc. Verify meeting documents and responses from researchers for completeness and acceptability; consult as required. Ensure timely follow-up on Committees’ decisions and responses from researchers. Maintain a tracking database of protocol statuses and follow-up as required.
- Plan, organize and participate in annual facility site visits of animal facilities and laboratories (where live animals are brought/kept) under FACC jurisdiction. Follow-up on site visit recommendations from the Committees with the Principal Investigators, in collaboration with the Quality Assistance Advisor.
- Consult with Animal Care Staff, Veterinarians, Committee Chairs and Animal Compliance Office team as required.
- Administer one UACC Working Group of the University Animal Care Committee (Communications and Community). On a need basis, organize, schedule, distribute documents, take minutes, and follow-up on decisions.
- Provide service to researchers on submission of protocols, renewals and amendments using the Darwin software platform, referring technical issues as required. Provide detailed information to researchers, teachers, Committee Chairs and members, regarding University and regulatory agency policies, guidelines and procedures. Assist researchers with clarifications of committee recommendations and with the completion of the forms.
- Participate in ongoing training/education to remain up-to-date on contemporary information on animal research compliance, animal care, office technologies, and administrative knowledge and skills.
- In consultation with Committee Chairs and supervisor, implement and refine procedures, provide backup for other team members (including backup for committee administration), prepare reports and participate in projects (e.g. minor or major software upgrade project, data dictionary update).
- Participates in monthly Shriners Facility Animal Care Committee meetings; reviews protocols and amendments for the Shriners FACC.
- Other related duties as required.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
DEC III Animal Health Technology or related field. 3 years relevant experience. Demonstrated organizational skills to work in a fast-paced office environment with specific time-critical deadlines. Proven ability to prioritize and multitask. Knowledge of Institutional and CCAC animal care policies and procedures, and of research environment. Initiative and ability to work autonomously and as part of a team. Proven service orientation and communication skills. Proficiency in office systems, including word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation software, email. Familiarity with application / approval database platforms (e.g. Darwin, eSirius). Experience in taking notes and minutes including technical vocabulary. English (spoken and written); French (spoken and read). Must be able to travel between the Macdonald and Downtown campuses (normally once monthly).
Connaissance du français et de l’anglais. L’Université McGill est une université de langue anglaise où les tâches quotidiennes peuvent nécessiter une communication verbale et écrite en anglais. »
“Knowledge of French and English. McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing.”
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEC III 3 Years Related Experience /
(MUNACA Level H) $33.05 – $40.97
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Director Animal Compliance
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.