Recruiting for Not For Profit Organization
Do you have a passion for nature and want to educate others?
Then Allan Brooks Nature Centre is looking for you. We have a permanent – part-time Environmental Education Program Assistant (28 hours per week) starting immediately.
Located in one of the most picturesque spots in Vernon, BC, Allan Brooks Nature Centre is a not-for-profit organization whose goals are to increase public awareness, appreciation, enjoyment and stewardship of nature in the Okanagan by providing firsthand opportunities to see, experience and learn of the Okanagan’s unique and diverse natural history, showcase its natural areas and features through information programs, displays, nature-related activities and events for all ages. Visit our website at www.abnc.ca to learn more about us.
Working with the Programming Coordinator, you will be presenting our Nature in the Classroom, Kokanee Salmon field trips and Science of Nature programs to Grd. K to 7. As well as, assisting in the creation of new programming and leading Community experiences at the Centre and other local locations.
Reporting to Program Coordinator, the Environmental Education Program Assistant will directly contribute to the ABNC mission through the design, development and delivery of on-site environmental education programs for children, youth, seniors and special interest groups.
This position will act as the primary liaison between visitors and ABNC, providing the community with first-hand experiences of the Okanagan and Allan Brooks through greeting visitors, nature interpretation and delivery of programs, summer day camps and related educational services at the Nature Centre.
- Assist with design, development and delivery of nature educational program contents at the Nature Centre as well as off site to schools, public and community events.
- Provide support to the Program Coordinator to develop education specific extension materials for education program delivery to schools
- Provide support to the Program Coordinator to develop and execute community programming remotely and at the centre.
- Working closely with the Program Coordinator, design and develop new experiential programming.
- Assist in the promotion of ABNC programs and special events through posting materials at the Nature Centre and externally in the community, as well as promoting community involvement with visitors and prospective volunteers
- Represent ABNC at public and private ABNC functions, as required
- Provide direct support for the Grasslands, Naturescape and/or volunteer committee projects, as requested
- Assist landscaping personnel in maintaining the cleanliness and safety of the ABNC nature site, buildings and trails
- Administrative tasks related to education programs, reporting, and activity completion
- Provide a positive, enthusiastic ecological learning experience to visitors through informative and interactive guided tours
- Research and provide information and facts about flora & fauna, ecosystems and nature in the Okanagan;
- Independently lead indoor and outdoor nature interpretive services to individual visitors and small to large-sized (4 – 20+) groups.
- Develop activities for and supervise Summer Day Camps (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays) for children 4 – 12 years of age;
- Support and motivate Nature Centre volunteers in collaboration with the Program Coordinator to encourage the success of Nature Centre programs
- Coordinate work schedules and team work activities with the Program Coordinator for efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure that staff and volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with WorkSafe BC Standards, ABNC’s policies and mission
- Participate on the Education Committee and other committees as requested.
- Identify risks and understand their impact, provide input into developing policies and procedures that will eliminate or reduce those risks.
- Present a professional and pleasant customer service environment and ensure positive communications for building and maintaining great working relationships with all stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, members, visitors, and the community at large, delivering value to each of the stakeholders and maintaining ABNC’s reputation and commitment to service.
- As part of the ABNC staff team, contribute collectively to supporting the operational needs of the organization. This includes answering phones, covering the front desk, and participating in various fundraising events, program activities and awareness campaigns.
- Support the Program Coordinator and Communications Coordinator with marketing and promotional materials as required.
- Participate on various Event Committees (ie. Garage Sale, Gala, Raptors) as requested.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
What we offer
Potential for Full time
$19.00 to $21.00 Per hour (depending on experience)
6% vacation pay plus paid Christmas break
What we need from you:
- Resume and cover letter
- 2 Professional references
- 1 personal reference
- If successful you will need to provide an Enhanced Criminal Record Check
- have a valid BC Driver’s License and reliable transportation to get to and from the Nature Centre
If you are inspired by this posting and are ready to make a difference in our community, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Please apply with your resume and cover letter ‘stating why you would be an ideal fit for this role’ to the attention of Stacey Davidson, HR Director, ABNC
DETAILED job description & application instructions can also be found here: https://www.virtualjobsearchcoach.com/find-a-job/
Thank you in advance for your interest – we will do our best to reply to all applicants; however, in the event of a high number of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 28 per week
Salary: $19.00-$21.00 per hour
- Paid time off
- Day shift
- Do you have past experience working or volunteering for a non-profit organization?
- Do you have a driver’s license and reliable vehicle?
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.