Turning Leaf Support Services
Turning Leaf is a non-profit, charitable organization that provides person-centered, crisis and treatment services to low and high-risk vulnerable and marginalized individuals living with mental illness and intellectual challenge in our community.
Turning Leaf’s support is customized to every individual’s needs and risk level. We offer crisis-intervention and treatment services, community support, day program services, residential support (including emergency housing, 24-hour homes, cluster housing, and home share), a harm reduction program, clinical services, indigenous services and more.
WHO WE SUPPORT
The participants of our programs are often deeply impacted by their circumstances which can become barriers to living safely and independently in the community. Trauma, homelessness, poverty, addictions, discrimination, sexual exploitation, societal stigmas, and lack of access to resources are some of the barriers our participants face every day.
MAKE AN IMPACT
Being a part of the Turning Leaf family means you will have the opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on people’s lives every day. The work is challenging in all the best ways and deeply rewarding. Many of our employees say they have found their life’s purpose while working here.
Turning Leaf provides ongoing, meaningful training to ensure we remain an industry leader and that our employees have the skills and confidence to be successful in their careers. We are an organization that pledges to uphold a workplace culture of inclusion, diversity, compassion, and respect.
We are growing more and more all the time and we are always hiring. If you feel called to be a part of the Turning Leaf team, please apply today.
New Hire Incentive Program: Full/Part-Time new hires will receive a $200 bonus after six months of employment
DIRECT SUPPORT WORKER JOB SUMMARY
Direct Support workers will provide person-centered supports to adults (or individuals transitioning to adulthood) who are living with intellectual challenge, developmental disability and/or mental illness. Direct Support Workers will provide support to participants living independently within the community or in a residential setting.
Direct Support Workers will work directly with our participants in helping set goals and making healthy life choices. Direct Support Workers will work closely with and report to the Clinical Managers and Supervisors to observe, plan, implement and execute programs and activities that promote and encourage learning and development in daily living, social and life skills.
- Cover letter and updated resume
- 18 years of age or older
- Available anytime (days and evenings) 35 – 40 hours p/week (Full time)
- Available anytime (days and evenings) 15 – 25 hours p/week (Part time)
- Available anytime 15-less hour’s p/week (Casual)
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check (no older than 3 months)
- Valid Class 5 divers license and reliable vehicle is considered an asset
- Valid Standard First Aid / CPR Certification
- Minimum one-year direct support experience working in a residential or community setting
- Completion of a Post-Secondary Education in Human Services (Certificate, Diploma or Degree) is considered an asset
- Three employment references
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Turning Leaf Direct Support Workers must possess the capacity to be aware of and control one’s emotions. Moreover, Direct Support Workers must be able to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously, empathetically, and professionally while executing their responsibilities and providing Turning Leaf’s person-centered supports.
In addition, every Direct Support Worker must possess experience with and skills in:
- De-escalating aggressive behavior
- Working with adults who are living with an intellectual challenge, mental illness and who are in conflict with the law
- Conflict resolution skills
- Aptitude towards managing crisis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain up-to-date files on participants (static and dynamic information).
- Maintain daily process notes on Support Worker activities and multi-system interactions
- Write incident reports in collaboration with Clinical Case Management
- Oversee and maintain an awareness of cumulative health care of the participant (including general practitioner, dentist, ear and eye specialists, and psychiatrist appointments).
- Report at-risk participant activities verbally (including via telephone) and in writing to Case Management
- In conjunction with Clinical Case Manager/Clinical Supervisor, engage participants in a process of goal setting, planning and acquisition as it pertains to living safely and independently in the community.
- Monitoring and/or administering medications
- Encouraging residents to participate in social/recreational activities this will include supporting participants in community-based settings.
- Dietary/food services including preparing/serving meals
- Domestic support/facility maintenance including and not limited to cleaning, laundry, trash removal etc.
- Attend training and staff meetings; they are to be treated like a scheduled shift.
- Other duties as assigned
DIRECT SUPPORT WORKER BENEFITS
- Health Benefits (Full-time employees)
- GRRSP Program (optional)
- Paid Wellness Time (Full-time employees)
- Bereavement and Compassionate Care Time
- Awake Overnight Premium
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Paid training (First Aid/CPR, NVCI, VPA, etc.)
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent, Casual
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- No weekends
- Weekend availability
- Weekends only
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Dauphin, MB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Direct Support Work: 1 year (preferred)
- clearly and can read/write fluent English (required)
- Drivers License with access to a reliable vehicle (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.