University of Saskatchewan, Culinary Services
Marquis Hall is a food and dining venue in the heart of the University of Saskatchewan campus providing meals and great service to students living on and off campus, faculty and staff, as well as many guests, special events and conference groups visiting campus throughout the year.
The Marquis Culinary Centre is a unique platform with endless opportunity to engage our campus on many levels including the promotion of wholesome food, culinary arts, nutrition, sustainability, inclusion and diversity through food and dining.
We are searching for an outgoing and motived hospitality professional to join our leadership team.
To apply visit the University of Saskatchewan careers site: https://careers.usask.ca/
As a part of the Culinary Services management and leadership team, the Dining Coordinator holds the primary responsibility for the front of house operations of the Marquis Hall culinary centre and dining rooms ensuring outstanding customer service and engagement as well as the development, growth and promotion of the residential dining program, campus meal plans, culinary initiatives, and dining services. This position provides leadership and stewardship for staff ensuring an engaged and well-trained team.
Nature of Work:
The Dining Coordinator works as a part of the Culinary Services leadership team in providing strategic leadership and stewardship for staff and services in a manner that is aligned with Culinary Services and University direction.
Reporting to the Manager, Culinary Services / Executive Chef, this position works in the development and mentoring of the employees ensuring operational efficiency as well as high level of professionalism, customer service and engagement.
Manages staff, processes, facilities, and other resources.
Provides leadership, advice and influences the course for the unit or function; develops and implements plans, programs or services. Allocates and schedules staff, recruits and develops human resources. Logistical and supervisory responsibility and accountability for resources (human, financial, physical). Maintains strong menu and product knowledge. Has an understanding and knowledge of the unit operations and how they fit into those of other units. Draws on expertise of others and consults as appropriate. Operational and customer service focus. Applies established policies and procedures. Manages own work schedule accordingly to ensure accountabilities are covered and ensures a regular presence throughout the full scope of services.
This position requires alternate work plans involving evenings, weekends and/or stat holidays during peak times based on business demands that do vary throughout the year.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
- Provides direct staff support in employee supervision, training and development ensuring efficient operations, an engaged and accountable team, as well as fosters a positive work environment.
- Provides management support to staff and visible presence during service times.
- Recruits, hires, and schedules staff. Submits and approves employee time reporting.
- Works collaboratively with all areas in Marquis to identify and implement opportunities for productivity and staffing efficiencies.
- Ensures collective agreements are adhered to. Applies both positive coaching in regards to performance management as well as the formal discipline process when necessary.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of menus and food products including allergens and special diet requirements.
- Develops and maintains allergy information, guides and materials.
- Responsible for all signage and proper labelling of food items.
- Manages and updates plasma screens with menus, promotional material and information daily as well as develops slides and marketing materials as needed.
- Assists in the development and implementation of various levels of special events, promotion and programming throughout the year. Events vary in levels of scope and involvement including seasonal and themed events as well as customer awareness/engagement campaigns.
- Works creatively in developing customer, student and staff engagement around the promotion of culinary initiatives.
- Creates and posts daily social media content for the Marquis Culinary Centre and Meal Plans
- Manages the sale of meal plans, assists in developing strategies, and leads initiatives for future growth.
- Works collaboratively with the Consumer Services Marketing Specialist for larger marketing materials and campaigns.
- Maintains working knowledge of POS / Moneris / and Meal Plan CIM system as well as daily cash reporting
- Works collaboratively with Retail Manager to coordinate cash handling and reporting for the Culinary Centre
- Drives initiatives for meal plan sales and growth.
- Provides a monthly sales report as well as customer count reports for the Culinary Centre
- Responsible for guest satisfaction surveys and developing systems for receiving regular customer feedback
- Ensure up-to-date training and required certifications of staff (Food Safe, WHIMMIS, First Aid, etc…)
- Ensure best practices in regards to Food Safety and Occupational Health and Safety
- Ensures staff in respective areas uphold a high level of sanitation and all areas are properly maintained
- Responsible for managing and maintaining inventory levels of small wares and renewals.
- Works collaboratively to manage the Marquis Culinary Centre custodial operations including the scheduling of staff, resources and general maintenance.
- Assist the Culinary Management Team as needed including vacation coverage.
- Stays current with campus dining, food service, hospitality and market trends.
The incumbent requires a relevant degree or post-secondary certification preferably in Food Service, Hospitality, or Nutrition Management. A combination of experience and education may be considered.
A Food Safe Certificate is required
WHIMIS Certificate is required
The incumbent requires a minimum 5 years of food and hospitality experience working in the front line in a restaurant and/or full service food operation with operational oversite and managerial responsibilities as well as experience in event planning, promotion and execution.
The incumbent trains, directs, mentors employees. Develops systems for training and providing information. Ensures the promotion of services, initiatives, and engagement of staff, students, and customers.
Must be highly proactive, with a strong orientation towards customer service and student experience. Show initiative and ensure a creative approach to developing promotions and events, communicating initiatives and creating engagement through marketing involving, website, plasma screens, display merchandising, and social media.
Must possess strong and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; exceptional work ethic; detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to organize work, delegate duties, set priorities with changing business demands; ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team member. The ability to foster trust and contribute to a supportive team environment is essential.
Must have a high level of technology competency, proficient in Microsoft Office, current social media avenues as well as training or experience in developing marketing material (plasma screen slides, signage, allergy materials, posters).
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $49,301.00 – 77,033.00 per annum. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Work Location: On Campus
The University believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $49,301.00-$77,033.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saskatoon, SK: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- food and hospitality management: 5 years (required)
- food service: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.