Natural Resources Canada
Calgary (Alberta), Devon (Alberta), Edmonton (Alberta), Vancouver (British Columbia), Victoria (British Columbia), Winnipeg (Manitoba), Fredericton (New Brunswick), Corner Brook (Newfoundland and Labrador), Dartmouth (Nova Scotia), Ottawa (Ontario), Sault Ste. Marie (Ontario), Montréal Island (Québec), Québec (Québec), Montréal – Other locations (Québec), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan)
Secondment, Assignment, Deployment, Acting, Indeterminate, Term
$85,476 to $92,412
For further information on the organization, please visit Natural Resources Canada
Closing date: 14 December 2022 – 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
- Social media
- Science communications
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce
We are committed to fostering a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential, and can contribute their unique perspectives and experience to the success of the team. We strive to provide an environment free from harassment and discrimination. Employees can connect with like-minded colleagues through a number of communities, such as:
- the Persons With Disabilities Network, that helps all persons with disabilities realize their full potential as individuals and fully contribute to the objectives of NRCan;
- the Indigenous Employee Network, where all NRCan employees, both Indigenous and non-Indigenous, come together to participate in Traditional Ceremonies;
- the Visible Minority Advisory Council, that launched the Employee Development Fund to support the professional development needs of their members;
- BEACON (Back Employees Advisory Council), a network of Black people who work at NRCan and have come together to share their lived experiences, support each other and work to eliminate anti-Back racism;
- the Pride Network, a community of LGBTQ2+ employees and their allies at NRCan who gather to promote a healthy and inclusive work environment through social activities, mutual support, educational events, and advocacy;
- the Young Professionals Network, that provides career and professional development opportunities that foster sharing, promote leadership, and improve members’ ability to develop their skillset and contribute to the department and Government of Canada.
- Develop compelling web and social media content that drives people to take action
- Curate NRCan’s social media presence to keep followers engaged and educated
- Develop national campaigns and coordinate live social media coverage at events
- Analyze the performance of NRCan’s website, marketing campaigns and other digital communications and propose improvements for increasing user task completion
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams to plan, implement and deliver on advertising, web, social media, science outreach and analytics
- Provide web, advertising, social media, science outreach and analytics advice and training to colleagues and management
- Work closely with NRCan scientists to share their work with the media and Canadians
- Create reports and creative data visualizations to communicate insights and trends
- Develop a deep understanding of how users interact with NRCan online and get to know our audiences to the point where you can predict what they are looking for
- Work closely with our programs and strategic communications partners, as they will look to you for insights on how to improve their work
- Constantly learn and share your knowledge with colleagues through presentations and boards
Be part of a team that values creativity, innovation and work-life balance! NRCan’s headquarters is located in Ottawa and we have many regional offices across Canada. Successful candidates could have the option to work remotely anywhere in Canada, either from a regional office or from their homes. We’ve learned of the benefits of remote work and are developing what the future of work looks like for our employees. This will include flexible hours, remote work or a hybrid model of remote work and being in the office, depending on the position and operational requirements.
In addition to flexible arrangements and remote work, we offer:
- Various career and learning opportunities across many interests and disciplines
- Job security and career mobility
- A safe, healthy and stable working environment that values work-life balance
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- One of the best and secure pension plans in Canada, generous insurance, dental and health care plans
- Numerous types of leave
Intent of the process
A pool of (fully or partially) qualified candidates may be established through this process to staff identical or similar positions at Natural Resources Canada with various tenures (determinate period or indeterminate), various language requirements and profile(s) (English essential, BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC, CCC/CCC, etc.), various security requirements (reliability and secret).
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Based on their education, training and/or experience, indeterminate incumbents of positions in the IS classification are deemed to meet the minimum education standard whenever a bachelor’s degree without specialization is called for in a position classified as IS.
- An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum education standard.
- Significant* experience in planning, developing, implementing and measuring communications strategies with multiple digital tactics for high visibility initiatives.
- Recent experience in providing analysis, advice and recommendations to clients, stakeholders and senior management on the performance of digital communications activities.
- Significant* experience in writing, editing and/or producing a variety of communications products such as social media, web content, articles, podcasts, video scripts, infographics, media pitches and digital display content.
- Experience in digital communications monitoring, analysis, performance measurement and reporting.
- Experience is understood to mean the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed a range of activities related to this task, which are normally acquired over a period of three (3) years.
- Recent experience is understood to mean the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed a range of activities related to this task, within the last two (2) years.
- Significant experience is understood to mean the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed a broad range of complex activities related to this task, which are normally acquired over a period of five (5) years.
- Ability to identify, extract, organize and synthesize data from different information sources and translate into meaningful business intelligence
- Ability to take into consideration Government of Canada policies, directives, standards and/or guidelines relevant to digital communications, user-centric design best practices, digital communications project management techniques, evaluation and analysis techniques related to digital communications, analytics and performance measurement when making recommendations to clients, stakeholders, and senior management
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines and changes in priorities
- Ability to build and foster client relationships;
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Effective interpersonal relationships
- Analytical skills
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Information on language requirements
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation
- Agile Scrum Master, Certified Practitioner, or equivalent certification
- Experience in planning, developing, and conducting user experience testing
- Experience in working on information architecture projects
- Experience in the development/coding of Web pages or Web sites
- Experience in writing for the Web
- Experience in web writing and applying search engine optimization (SEO) best practices
- Experience in setting key performance indicators for digital communications campaigns
- Experience in customizing and using analytics collection tools like Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager and/or Adobe Analytics to evaluate and optimize digital communications projects
- Experience in coordinating Government of Canada advertising campaigns
- Experience in leading social marketing and behavioural change campaigns
- Experience in journey mapping
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing science communications strategies
- Experience in planning, developing, implementing and measuring proactive media outreach
- Experience in curating and tailoring dynamic social media content to a variety of platforms
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing national social media campaigns
- Experience in the use of new media tools for social media management, social media listening and social media analytics to disseminate and measure digital communications activities
- Experience covering live events on social media through live posting and live streaming
- Experience leading the planning, development, and implementation of internal communications strategies, projects, products and/or activities
- Experience building collaborative working relationships with a wide variety of internal stakeholders in a client service environment
- Experience organizing and providing training to colleagues, clients and senior management* on digital communications techniques
- Senior management is defined as Director-level and above
Conditions of employment
- Ability and willingness to travel within Canada.
- Ability and willingness to work remotely
- Ability and willingness to work overtime
- Reliability or secret clearance, depending on position
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
This organizational need may be identified as part of the appointment decision. In such cases, qualified candidates who self-declare as members of a visible minority group, Aboriginal peoples or persons with disabilities could be considered in priority.
The breadth and depth of experience may/will be considered when making selections from the qualified pool and in determining the “best fit” for the organization.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring proof of their education credentials, in the form of a diploma or official transcript (original documents only).
Candidates will be required to pay for travel costs associated with this selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our position(s). For the purpose of this staffing process, only candidates selected for further assessment will be contacted.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.