Canadian National Railway
At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you are part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters.
The Digital Channel Specialist is responsible for driving content as well as fostering dialogue and relationships with key stakeholders. The role supports CN’s social channels, email campaigns, as well as our internal digital signage network. The incumbent collaborates with members of CN’s Communications Hub and other subject matter experts to create compelling social media posts, email messages and memorable “glance” media in support of various communications campaigns. The channel specialist measures the success of campaigns to ensure they are reaching the target audience effectively and compelling the desired action.
- Support the management of CN’s social channels, attracting and deepening engagement with appropriate stakeholders
- Assist with content development for social media and digital campaigns with eye-catching and meaningful graphics
- Maintain an editorial calendar for each platform on a weekly and monthly basis
- Collaborate with peers to publish quality content and promote engagement
- Create and oversee new strategies to drive visitors, engagement, recognition, and conversion
- Participate in the development of strategic social media ad campaigns to achieve defined objectives
- Craft paid audience targets using custom audiences and retargeting techniques
- Create and implement campaign improvements based on learnings from evaluation and listening activities
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of campaigns and the digital channel in general, and recommend improvements
- Share and present results and insights across the organization regularly, including campaign performance and key trends
- Support the Communications Hub and teams across the organization to offer strategic counsel on social media engagement, email marketing best practices and digital signage effectiveness.
- Research and advise on suitability of new channels as they develop
- Support CN’s internal and external email marketing strategy including email development, template designs, calls-to-action, and content used while communicating and testing together with optimization, database management, and reporting
- Conduct data analysis and segmentation to build targeted email programs
- Create compelling content for digital signage installed across CN’s North American network
- Support CN’s network of digital signage owners during upgrades to the content management system
- Assist other areas of the Omni Channel team as needed
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. The incumbent may be asked to work evenings and weekends when necessary. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, and handle pressure and stress. CN’s current post-pandemic approach applies a hybrid model where we work partly from the office and partly from home.
- Minimum 2 years in a similar digital marketing role with experience in*
o Paid social media and community management
o Graphic design or a flare for the creative aspects and the power of design including knowledge of Adobe Suite tools and basic video and animation production
o Email marketing management and automation
o Paid social advertising including audience targeting, A/B testing, and performance reporting
o Managing a software or technology enhancement project
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally with emphasis in communications, marketing, public relations or advertising, or commensurate experience
- Applies analytical thinking to make recommendations that pursue sustainable performance
- Stays up-to-date with the rapid evolution of the industry and of technology
- Able to thrive in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Deals with pressure and change by staying calm to quickly adapt
- Continuously innovates to create value, without compromising on safety and quality
- Knows CN’s business and stays current with industry trends to elevate expertise and work
- Shares timely information within and across functions to get things done effectively
- Inspires others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience
- Fluently bilingual both written and verbal (English and French)
- Knowledge of social media tools, audiences and best practices, as well as experience with email marketing and web platforms
- Content development skills, including copywriting and basic design
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Share Point, and Outlook) and HTML5
- Experience with Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, Poppulo, Four Winds (an asset)
- Ability to prioritize, execute tasks, and oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of digital design and web graphics
Decision Making & Impacts
The Digital Channel Specialist has limited decision making authority. The incumbent’s recommendations and work are reviewed in collaboration with a direct supervisor prior to execution. The position impacts CN’s business promotion and reputation given the nature of social media as well as the Company’s ability to communicate with customers via email campaigns.
Level of Interaction/Influence
The Digital Channel Specialist interacts with individuals internal and external to CN. Within the organization, the incumbent liaises with members of the Communications Hub and other departments that are subject matter experts for the social campaigns, including Marketing, Network Operations, Human Resources, and Corporate Services. Outside of CN, the role occasionally communicates with suppliers such as Graphic Designers, Applications Support, and Consultants.
Employees Supervised/Organizational Structure
The Digital Channel Specialist reports to the Senior Manager, Omni Channel Communications. The role has no supervisory responsibility.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof thereof as a condition of employment. The Company’s vaccination mandate extends to employees of our wholly owned subsidiaries as well as CN’s contractors, consultants, agents and suppliers and anyone who accesses CN properties in Canada.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.