University of Toronto
Location: Woodside Branch
Employment Status: Permanent Part-Time (CUPE 5348)
Hours: 20 hours per week with ability to work all shifts – days, evenings, and weekends
Do you have a passion for knowledge and excellent customer service skills? Oakville Public Library has seven library branches that are dedicated to serving the diverse community of Oakville. In this role, you’ll support the public, collection and library operations within a branch to provide services that strive to Inspire Oakville.
What you’ll do
As a Customer Service Technician you will:
• Deliver excellent service to customers of all ages by adhering to the AODA’s Customer Service Standard
• Provide customer service related to the circulation of materials and customer account information
• Interpret library policies during customer interactions; refer complex situations to next level staff
• Provide ‘roving’ reference and readers’ advisory services to the public, in person, by telephone and electronically; refer complex inquiries to next level staff or specialized resources
• Assist customers in accessing online and print information using all technologies including mobile devices and 3D printing
• Support and promote self-service technology by explaining and demonstrating functionality as appropriate, such as self-checkout, multi-functional printers
• Provide technical support to customers, such as PC Reservation guest passes, Microsoft Office, web email, program registration software
• Resolve situations with security gate alarm
• Process account reconciliation and cash deposits
• Identify and resolve customer service problems and complaints; report those requiring further resolution
• Process interlibrary loan requests
• Assist with collection maintenance and development work, including new books, standing orders and weeding
• Assist with branch operational activities such as compiling statistics and reports
• Promote library collections through visual merchandising and creation of reading lists for website
• Understand and promote OPL resources, programs and services
• Provide training for customers and staff as required
• Assist with orientation and training of new staff as required
• Replenish pamphlets and posters; maintain community bulletin boards
• Provide information on room rental, and act as first point of contact; assist with room set-up for programs and external bookings
• Order office supplies
• Maintain awareness of new and emerging trends in library services and programs
• Develop new skills and participate in professional development opportunities
• Participate in internal and/or external committees as required
• Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, other relevant health and safety legislation, and the Oakville Public Library’s Health & Safety Program
• Assist with other duties as assigned
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone who can:
• Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
• Communicate effectively, both written and verbal
• Utilize knowledge of print and online resources to support reference and readers’ advisory services for customers of all ages
• Apply expertise in technology, along with an understanding of the critical and evolving role of technology
• Perform work requiring accuracy and attention to detail
• Exercise good judgment and decision making skills
• Employ excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
• Employ excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask in a busy environment
• Demonstrate awareness of new and emerging trends in library services and programs
• Work independently and as part of a team
• Respond effectively to change
• Be flexible with work assignments and schedule; shifts include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts
• Demonstrate experience with automated library systems
Your experience and educational background:
• Library and Information Technician diploma with minimum 1 year library experience or will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience with Symphony integrated library systems, RFID technology, 3D printers and Microsoft Office Suite would be considered an asset.
Who are we?
Oakville Public Library strives to fulfill our mission of cultivating discovery and creativity in every phase of life. We are focused on exceptional customer service to meet the needs of the children, youth, adults, and seniors utilizing our physical or online services. We continue to be agile in our mandate to meet the needs of the residents of Oakville.
What’s it like to work at Oakville Public Library?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, we commit to providing access to tangible resources and programs that inspire, encourage, and provoke thought for the residents of Oakville.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.opl.on.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on March 21, 2023.
The Oakville Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) within our recruitment process upon request. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at [email protected]
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the OPL’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
A Security Clearance Check will be required for all employees and volunteers of the Oakville Public Library. Successful applicants must submit the Security Check (dated within the last six months) prior to or on the first day of employment.
The Oakville Public Library endeavours to provide a safe environment for all its employees. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.