Creative English Subtitler
English Creative Subtitler
The English Subtitling team is focused on creating English templates for translation of subtitles, QCing subtitles translated into English and creating closed captions for the hard of hearing. As an English Subtitler, you will be responsible for making creative decisions about English translations of key names and phrases and creating and maintaining project-specific consistency documents. With your impeccable English writing skills, passion for international entertainment media content, attention to detail and sensitivity to viewer experience, you will ensure all deliverables adhere to company and client specifications and industry best practices. You will collaborate with global teams on initiatives to improve end-to-end workflows and manage quality. This role is remote.
- Review episodes, features and bonus materials translated into English against video to identify key names and phrases and understand creative intent
- Fact-check and verify key names and phrases, ensuring consistency and accuracy using client-provided material and online sources
- Proactively alert project managers to consistency issues and provide recommendations for solutions
- Perform linguistic QCs on consistency documents translated into English to ensure they are natural, fluent and idiomatic English and request clarification from linguists when meaning is unclear
- Add descriptions of characters, relationships, places, terms and catchphrases to consistency documents as an aid to English QCers and translators
- Review suggested additions and changes to consistency documents and decide whether they should be implemented. Apply consistency revisions to projects as necessary.
- Coordinate and implement approved updates to consistency documents
- Work with global subtitling teams to ensure client expectations for quality and on-time delivery are met
- Provide constructive feedback to English subtitlers and into-English translators
- Support root cause analysis for English quality issues
- Provide support for other product lines such as English templates, subtitles and captions as needed
- Testing and debugging of proprietary software
What You Bring
- Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Translation, Creative Writing, Communications or relevant equivalent experience
- 1-2 years of experience transcribing or QCing English subtitles and captions. Experience translating subtitles or captions into English an asset
- English native speaker or ILR Level 5 proficiency, fluency in one or more other languages is a plus
- A passion for international cinema and television
- The ability to exercise critical thinking and analysis while working with creative content
- Detail-oriented, ability to prioritize tasks and make sound judgment calls while working under deadline
- Well-rounded knowledge of historical and contemporary events, cultural references, slang, idiom
- The ability to identify risks and effectively communicate them
- The ability to engage with a culturally diverse, distributed team
- Mastery of Microsoft Office or Google Suite
- Background in audiovisual and film production, scripting or dubbing an asset
If you’re an independent thinker with a high level of ingenuity and the above qualifications, then we’d like you to join our team!
About the Company
Deluxe, a subsidiary of Platinum Equity, is a global leader in media and entertainment services for film, video, and online content. Since 1915, Deluxe has been the trusted partner for the world’s most successful Hollywood studios, independent film companies, TV networks, exhibitors, advertisers and others, offering best-in-class solutions in post-production, distribution, asset and workflow management, and cloud-based technologies.
With headquarters in Los Angeles and offices around the globe, the company employs over 4,000 of the most talented individuals, developers, and industry veterans worldwide. For more information, please visit
Deluxe is committed to inclusivity, fostering an environment where every employee feels comfortable bringing their full selves to work. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against, on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Deluxe will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state, and federal law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Deluxe. Please inform the company’s HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.