Reporting to the Foreman, the Skilled Laborer assumes responsibility for all general labor duties along with basic carpentry duties required on commercial scope construction projects ensuring work tasks are performed safely in accordance with Occupational Health & Safety legislation and company policies while ensuring work is performed with a high level of quality and timeliness.
This position is based in the Kamloops, BC. This is not a remote work situation.
· 40-hour work week
· Overtime as required
· Working both indoors and outdoors in hot and cold weather conditions
· Working in and around noise and dust
· Ensure the safe operation of small/light equipment.
· Ensure the safety of your team members.
· General housekeeping, material handling, basic carpentry skills.
· Participate in daily safety meetings.
· Complete daily equipment service checks and complete daily inspection logs (pre-trip inspections).
· Ensure work areas are kept clean and free of hazards.
· Ensure tools and equipment are returned to job boxes and tool cribs.
· Follow instructions of the Superintendents/Foreman.
· Other tasks and labour duties as required on the job site.
· High school diploma an asset
· Experience as a construction labourer
· Carpentry knowledge
· Willing to join the CLAC Union
· CSTS, WHIMIS and First Aid an asset
· General construction safety knowledge including assisting carpenters, jack hammering, demolition, site clean up and hoarding
· Ability to take direction and follow through on instructions
· Positive attitude towards safety
· Ability to work collaboratively
· Superior written and verbal communication skills
· Superior focus on customer satisfaction
· Stand or walk for long periods of time
· Use arms and hands to reach for, handle or manipulate objects
· Lift and carry materials weighing up to 50lbs.; occasionally lift items weighing more than 50lbs. with assistance
· Climb up and down ladders, scaffolds, and other objects
· Exposure to hazards such as heights, power tools, slips, falls, falling objects, and sharp hand tools
· Work at great heights
Why Choose Bird?
Safety, Sustainability, Collaboration, and Integrity are core Company values that encourage innovation and make a lasting difference in meeting the goals of our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate. Stuart Olson strongly supports and encourages employees to get involved and give back in their local communities. We expect our employees to bring their best to work every day and in return, management recognizes and rewards employees for their valued contribution through competitive compensation, robust benefits, health & wellness programs, and learning development opportunities. At Bird we are committed to creating a culture built on a passion to do great things.
Who We Are?
Bird has been positively impacting the businesses we serve, the communities in which we operate, and the lives we touch since 1911. Our rich history demonstrates our reach and diversity as an integrated, full-service organization serving the commercial and industrial markets.
We are a fully integrated commercial construction and industrial services provider with offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario. We deliver confidence through a client-centered approach that ensures the highest quality of service, reduces risk and delivers results.
Safety, sustainability, collaboration, and integrity are core company values that encourage innovation and make a lasting difference in meeting the goals of our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate. We strongly support and encourage employees to get involved and give back in their local communities. We expect our employees to bring their best to work every day and in return, management recognizes and rewards employees for their valued contribution through competitive compensation, robust benefits, health and wellness programs, and learning development opportunities.
Who We Are?
We have proudly served the Canadian construction industry for over 100 years. Our rich history demonstrates our reach and diversity as an integrated, full-service organization serving the commercial and industrial markets. We deliver confidence through a client-centered approach that ensures the highest quality of service, reduces risk, and delivers results.
We provide a comprehensive range of construction services from new construction for industrial, commercial, and institutional markets; to industrial maintenance, repair and operations services, heavy civil construction, and contract surface mining; as well as vertical infrastructure including, electrical, mechanical, and specialty trades. For over 100 years, we have been a people-focused company with an unwavering commitment to safety and a high level of service that provides long-term value for all stakeholders.
Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Unsolicited resumes and phone inquiries from 3rd party agencies will not be accepted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00-$25.23 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kamloops, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- construction: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.