University of Victoria
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria’s largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
Hours and scheduled work days vary based on business volume. Includes shifts on evenings and weekends. Based on short term nature of position, extended vacation requests may not be approved.
In support of the overall goals of Residence Services, a unit within the division of Student Affairs, the Conference & Guest Services Clerk performs sales, clerical and service duties for Conference Services and supports front desk duties in the Residence Services Main Office.
Residence Services provides accommodation services, programming and education to the on-campus student community, in addition to providing a summer conference operation for off-campus customers. The Conference Guest Clerk provides exceptional customer service, sales and administrative support related to group and guest bookings by responding to inquiries for accommodation, processing reservations, liasing with conference convenors, applying payments and charges, and assigning rooms using a customized computer reservation system.
Reporting to the Manager, Conference and Customer Service, the Conference Guest Clerk supports conference operations, seven days a week, providing both front-line service and administrative support in order to provide full service to summer guests.
This position is expected to carry out the core responsibilities of the Front Desk Clerk 20% of the time providing back-up and relief for that position as required. In the absence of the Front Desk Clerk the Conference Guest Clerk will be the sole resource in the Residence Services Main Office and complete all manner of front desk responsibilities.
The Conference Guest Clerk is knowledgeable about the range of services and activities provided by the various departments within Residence Services, as well as the procedures of the Main Office, and develops and maintains familiarity with general university operations in order to provide service and information to guests.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service in a fast paced environment
- Excellent organization skills; and strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates good judgment, diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to complete a high volume of work efficiently and accurately, prioritize work and multitask
- Ability to work with or without supervision
- Ability to work, varied day, evening and weekend shifts
- Demonstrated ability with MS word, excel and database software
- Demonstrated math skills
- High school graduation
- One to two years recent experience in conference services, hospitality, retail or higher education environment including experience with a computerized reservation system and cash handling
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed workshops and courses in customer service and sales.
We acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.
Equity and Diversity Statement
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement.
If you anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process contact: [email protected] Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.